Sold Without Title Document

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerdwyn

Here's an interesting situation I fell into...

I purchased a collectible item via eBay from a seller in Canada (I am in the USA). The item in question is numbered and is supposed to come with a matching numbered and signed Certificate of Authenticity to authenticate its value. I inquired with the seller about the specific certificate and was assured "all documents are with the item." No mention was made that the Certificate of Authenticity was not present or if its status was anything other than "with the item."

The item arrived without its certificate. I inquired with the seller as to the whereabouts of the certificate and was told again that "everything we had with the item was sent with it" and "I will look around here to see if anything is missing." At this time, I inquired with the original manufacturer of the item and discovered the Certificate of Authenticity was not released to the seller due to arrears that existed on the item. The original maker still had the certificate, and they have been trying to get their money from this seller for some time.

I contacted the seller back with this information and only at this time does he reveal that yes, the item is on lien but supposedly not to him (instead to his ex-wife or ex-girlfriend) and my dispute lies with her. No mention of another party owing money was ever made until I revealed his deception, conveniently. Again contacting the original manufacturer, I was told that the seller owes the money and if he pays them they will release the certificate. No other parties mentioned, only the seller. I offered to pay the remaining money owed to get the certificate and they refused, stating the seller himself must pay the debt owed. On their invoice for the item, the seller himself is listed as the Sold To and Ship To party.

I contacted an attorney regarding the matter and was told I could sue, and for treble the amount paid on the item. However, the upfront costs of filing the suit were unrealistic for me - as would be the stress of it - and I decided to not pursue the matter. On eBay, I left negative feedback stating the item was misrpresented in emails from the seller and that a lien still exists on it. I received negative feedback in return, with the seller stating I "made assumptions" and that I am a high-maintenance buyer. I replied in turn and stated, again, the item is in arrears and the seller sold it to escape the debt owed.

In a bizzare turn of events, the seller threatens ME with a lawsuit saying I have slandered him. Last time I checked, the only real problem here is that HE sold an item that is not only still in arrears, but is also without its title document (which the original maker will not release until the lien is paid off by my seller).

It seems like all huff, puff and no stuff... an empty threat... but I'll have an interesting counter-suit for him if he actually manages to sue me.

Moral of the story: Do not trust anyone. They will purposefully lie by omission and will speak out both sides of their mouth just to screw you over. The world we live in is filled with vipers. Demand solid proof of everything when buying, do not take anyone's word for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back