Corporate Law Sold S-corp, problems with website, new owner threatenings suit

Status
Not open for further replies.

chooks

I sold a small cellulite reduction business in a corporate stock sale (S-corp). The website was one of the assets of the business. According to the sales agreement, the language used was "website access." An acquaintance did the website for me as a favor. He subcontracted the programming, and now the programmer won't give up the rights to the website without more compensation. (They had originally bartered for the work, but now she wants more compensation). The new owner is threatening to sue me. But, since it was a corporate stock sale, doesn't that mean she takes on the assets AND liabilities? Who's responsible for paying for the rights of the website? What are my rights? I'm in California, btw.

What exactly does your written contract say about the website?

What it says is "at closing, seller will deliver (i) whatever written documents it has in regard to the matters listed below and (ii) an assignment of all of Seller's rights in and to the following:

(follows is a list of assets)
-website access

That's it. When I gave her the info, I just gave her my contact's number and told her to contact him if she needs to change anything. That's when all of the rights to the website issues came up. What should I do?

I'd tell the buyer to talk to the website developer since you sold her whatever interest you have in the website to the buyer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back