Sold my horses without notification

Status
Not open for further replies.

elladawn

I fell behind in my board payments, and I just heard last night that my horses have been sold. I never received anything via phone, in person or in writing from the farm indicating that they were going to take this action. What legal steps should they have required to complete before they were allowed to sell my horses to pay off my board debt? The amount is under $2500, so should this have been a small claims court issue?

Did you have an agreement of this type of any sort with the people you were boarding from? Even that you weren't fully aware of? I would speak with a lawyer. I happen to have two horses as well and I would be fighting this tooth and nail! I'm very sorry this happend to you, and I hope you get your horses back.

We didn't have a written board agreement, so my recourse hinges on interpretation of Vermont law. From what I've read, it doesn't look like she followed any legal course of action. I'm just sick...about falling behind and about how she's handled this.

I hope that someone here can help.

It doesn't state the process anywhere that I can find, and I'm not a lawyer. What I need to know is if a lien would have to be filed somewhere with a copy sent to me...I've got a call into a lawyer...but those things take time! I need to know now.

... I fell behind in my board payments, and I just heard last night that my horses have been sold. ...

You mean you don't go to the stable to check on your horses?

How far behind were you?

Yes, of course. The horses were sold within two weeks of my last visit. I was two months behind. These are very valuable horses and worth much more than the $1000 in board.

Yes, of course. The horses were sold within two weeks of my last visit. I was two months behind. These are very valuable horses and worth much more than the $1000 in board.

Some states allow liens in situations like yours.

But, in any event, take the bad person to small claims court.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back