Sold my car to a private person.. all of a sudden it has problems..

Status
Not open for further replies.

BobbyL262

I'm from Pennsylvania, sold the car to someone in NY

--------

2000 Ford Explorer XLS

I never had a problem with the car, not 1 for the 1 year I owned it. I had oil changes all the time, bought the car new tires.. did everything to it. I'm moving the west coast and wanted to get rid of it, and sold it to a private person.

all of a sudden everything goes wrong. I get a letter, from the buyer, saying the 'head gasket' had to be replaced and he's out $2500 because of it. He wants that money from me. (he found these probs 2 weeks after the sale).

Am I responsible to pay this bill? (which by the way I've never seen.. i've just seen his letter asking for the money). I know the Lemon Law doesn't apply because Im a private person and not a dealer.. but what gives? Not to mention, the car HAS a warranty..until 2006, which I know he contact and the service facility did receive the money to repair.

I called him, told him I knew that the warranty paid to fix the car.. so why are you still harassing me? he said that now, theres ANOTHER problem with the Head. It needs to be replaced and Warranty company denied that claim bc he just had the head gasket repaired. When I called the Company they laughed and said he never even called them, or tried to file another claim..

so whats going on? He's threating to take me to court over this $2500 which in his letter was ment for the "head gasket" now is meant for the "head".. can he do this!?

I would simply ignore the situation unless he files suit. I doubt that he will follow you to the West Coast.

I'm not moving until May, and he knows this. I'm using a relatives car until then.

I just didn't think he could sue me for charges incurred after the sale, and the fact that the car has a warranty. He's basically suing me because the warranty company denied his "claim"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back