Sold my car. Can i get it back legally if the new owner never register

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boxxerg35

I SOLD MY CAR BACK IN JUNE OF THIS YEAR (2014)

I Got a letter from department of police "Notice of Stored Vehicle (22852 CVC)"

The new owner never put it in his name. I'm still the legal Owner, he got arrested and the car got towed.
They are telling me I need to pay towing fees as well as $60/day storage fee.
I don't mind flying 2 states away and paying all the fees and driving the car back to my house, but is it LEGAL? will i get busted for it? or am I still the legal owner?

I forgot to file the release of interest paper to DMV at time of sale :/
I signed the Title over to his name and have all of his info including phone #
BILL OF SALE was signed as well. We both have copies of that.

the new owner did not try contacting me in any way yet....

Help me out. Because this car is something I regret SELLING! :(

You sold the car.
You no longer own the car.
Your problems begin if you take the car and keep dude's money.
Notify DMV of the sale, as you failed to do previously.
The incarcerated dude owns the car.
Don't do stupid stuff and make trouble for an honest person, YOU!
If you go get the car, you might have more serious regrets.

One must wonder how he was driving the car if it did not have valid registration. Without proof of sale, the tow company might come back on you for any deficiencies between fees and sale price from storage.

BOXXERG35...

First off, it is never too late to file the Release of Liability Form with the D.M.V. and I strongly suggest that you do it ASAP! And you should do this in person so you can ask the clerk to take your name off the records as the person to be contacted even if the new owner has not yet registered the vehicle in his name. So, God forbid the car is used in a liquor store hold-up, you will not be pursued by the authorities and worst still, if the new owner has an accident and ends up hurting someone, you can be sure that the attorneys for the plaintiff will come after you.

Once you file the Release of Liability form, it will not matter then how long it will take the new owner to register the car in his own name because you will be covered for any liability that he may incur. Once you file the form with the D.M.V., it would be even more prudent to send a copy of the transaction to the local constabulary in that jurisdiction and another to the tow company, OTHERWISE you will soon be receiving a NOTICE OF OWNERS LIEN followed shortly by a NOTICE OF LIEN AUCTION. While that in and of itself is no big deal, if the car sell for less than what is owed to the tow company, your name will go on lien sales document as the debtor, leading to negative reports to credit reporting companies and may even cause the suspension of your driver license (depending on the state).

As for the car and any feelings of sentimentality you may have for it, well, FORGET IT! The car is no longer yours and your attempts to retrieve it from wherever it is being stored may be seen in a light less complimentary by the owner and the authority. Because unless this guy is in for Murder one and is on death row, he will be out at some point (perhaps on bail) and will come looking for his car, and then what?

I suggest that you file the forms and wash your hands off the whole thing as it is not your problem anymore, and it serves no purpose to go and making it your problem.

SENTIMENT for the car OR NOT!

fredrikklaw

One must wonder how he was driving the car if it did not have valid registration. Without proof of sale, the tow company might come back on you for any deficiencies between fees and sale price from storage.

My good friend, WE know how he was driving the car without proper registration, insurance, and maybe without a valid drivers license. It was quite easy. He didn't care, as he had BIGGER crimes to attempt.

I was waiting to hear back from OP. If he/she left their valid plates on the car, this might be an entirely different type of situation.

My good friend, WE know how he was driving the car without proper registration, insurance, and maybe without a valid drivers license. It was quite easy. He didn't care, as he had BIGGER crimes to attempt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back