Sold my car but new owner never transferred title

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikefrmi

I sold my car to someone about 4 -5 years ago but the new owner never transferred the title. The engine was shot and he was going to see if he could get it going. I get a letter in the mail (from the police dept) saying the car was impounded and that I had 20 days or it was going up for auction and any cost remaining would be my responsibility. Since I have noway of contacting the individual again who purchased the car and since I didnt want to incour alot of expenses I paid the money and got the car out of impound and towed it home. I have applied for a duplicate title but technically since I dont have the title I signed is the car mine or his? If I do plan on keeping this car what can I do so a year from now someone doesnt come knocking on my door saying thats my car give it back. Are there time limits regarding abandoned property?

Unless they have the title showing they own it, they can't get the car. If the car is still in your name and you have no bill of sale, looks like you still own it and can go to tags and title to see if you can get a replacement.

buying car -bit off more than i can chew

my daughter's best friends boy friend sold my daughter one of his old cars. she was making payments of 20.00 a week for the first 3 months till she and her husband could get on their feet. both had lost their jobs . He then raised thie payments up to 50.00 a week well my daughter never found a job and her husband lost his. due too mental illness anyway, she fell behind. Whilethis was all taking place he said he would get her the title because the car needed tags and inspection. well the gentleman never would come forward with the needed paper work and my daughter ended up with 5 or six tickets for no tags insp. ins. etc. hence she geets pulled over and thrown in jail. costing 2,000.00 to get out, still no tiltle. well yesterday she gets pulled over and the policeman yells at her telling her to get out of the car searching her asking her where all the drugs were, she is scared to death (thank god her kids weren't with her. any way come to find out the car is in some other girls name and supposedly this gentleman is in trouble by thelaw. any ways i would like to know what my daughters legal legs to stand on are and she is by the way 3 weeks late on her weekly payments in debt with more tickets, and going to paralegal school during the day and needs her transportation. She is still making payments on her car with no tiltle, etc. He keeps threatining her saying hes going to come and get it. but i think hes afraid or in trouble for something else, He doesnt know she got pulled over and found out the car was still in some other girls name.. supposedly this other girl is in trouble too and an old freind of his. Please what are my daughters options.
we dont have the extra money to purchase another car or I would have all ready done so,
thanks for yur time Mrs. King

Almost the same problem

I sold a motorcycle about 3 months ago but the guy never transferred the title into his name. I do have a bill of sale (made by me with his signature and date and all the information on the motorcycle). 2 days ago I got a letter from the Police Department stating I owe $300.00 so far and they are going to sell the motorcycle and that I would owe the storage fees. If I have a bill of sale, am I free of any legal issues of this bike or am I still responsible for it because I didn't fill out the release of liability (that I didn't know you do in California). I am going to go get the car out of impound tomorrow and keep it. I have tried to contact the guy I sold it to but he said he was having legal issues and has not contacted me again. Do I have any hope or am I paying for my ignorance?
--Shane

mikefrmi said:
I sold my car to someone about 4 -5 years ago but the new owner never transferred the title. The engine was shot and he was going to see if he could get it going. I get a letter in the mail (from the police dept) saying the car was impounded and that I had 20 days or it was going up for auction and any cost remaining would be my responsibility. Since I have noway of contacting the individual again who purchased the car and since I didnt want to incour alot of expenses I paid the money and got the car out of impound and towed it home. I have applied for a duplicate title but technically since I dont have the title I signed is the car mine or his? If I do plan on keeping this car what can I do so a year from now someone doesnt come knocking on my door saying thats my car give it back. Are there time limits regarding abandoned property?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back