Consumer Law, Warranties Sold "as Is"

Status
Not open for further replies.

killahair

I need some help - I recently had a 12 year old boat which due to baby coming I had to sell - I sold the boat to a guy for 15K and wrote out receipt to him with both our signatures describing the boat being sold "AS IS". A month after he bought the boat off of me he blew the engine out in the lake and just summons me to small claims sueing me for 10K saying I sold him boat with bad engine and I built the engine poorly etc.I didnt build engine and I have receipts for engine work done but the engine builder is now closed and nomore so I cant really rely on them. Will my receipt at time of purchase stating I sold boat to him " AS IS" save me in court or ?
Please help asap as I have to go on Monday. Thanx

Well, this might be later than the case -- let us know. In general, the sale is "as is" especially if it is on the receipt. Unless you made representations that the plaintiff can prove with regard to the boat, he is stuck. Additionally, I'm not sure how you can sue for 10K in small claims (perhaps there are some jurisdictions that are up to that amount.)

Let us know how the case turned out. Everyone feels that used objects should last but that is the risk you take for purchasing used. The purchaser had the right to and probably did inspect the boat. I'd be surprised if he has a case, especially if the boat worked for a month -- plus one never knows if his use of the boat might have caused the engine failure. It did work for several weeks.

Originally posted by killahair
I need some help - I recently had a 12 year old boat which due to baby coming I had to sell - I sold the boat to a guy for 15K and wrote out receipt to him with both our signatures describing the boat being sold "AS IS". A month after he bought the boat off of me he blew the engine out in the lake and just summons me to small claims sueing me for 10K saying I sold him boat with bad engine and I built the engine poorly etc.I didnt build engine and I have receipts for engine work done but the engine builder is now closed and nomore so I cant really rely on them. Will my receipt at time of purchase stating I sold boat to him " AS IS" save me in court or ?
Please help asap as I have to go on Monday. Thanx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back