sold a car a year and a half ago and new owner didnt register it in their name

jenzaba2

Jurisdiction
Texas
After moving to Texas I sold my vehicle on craigslist. The guy met me in Walmart parking lot and he paid me and i signed the back of the title and handed it over. A year and a half later i get a toll charge for the car I sold. It was the first time I had ever sold a vehicle and like an idiot I didnt get a bill of sale. After contacting the tollway and the dmv in the state that the car was registered in i was able to get a loss title sent to me. Can i claim it as stolen or unauthorized use? Am i able to do anything? I dont even remember the guys name????

The person paid you for the vehicle. It is NOT stolen or unauthorized use. Getting a lost tile voided the title that you gave him. The form that you signed to get a lost title( if it was TX) states that you are the recorded owner and the title has been lost, destroyed or mutilated. I'm sure other states would have similar language. NOT the case. All you had to do was complete a form notifying the state that you had sold the vehicle.

So at this point what do I do. I notified the state that I sold the vehicle and they claim I am still liable because everything is still in my name so my question is WHAT DO I DO? I don't want to wait until there is an accident or something and they come after me for it...I know I made a mistake in not having a bill of sale I just need to know how to fix it.

I don't know what to tell you, honestly other than 1. go ahead and pay the toll bills. 2. go to your local DMV and ask them how to unravel this mess. If the last title was in another state, you will have to take care of it in that state. Texas won't be able to help you.

Back