Slum lord

C

christell

Jurisdiction
California
I live in Sacramento . I have lived in my home for almost two years. I will try to leave out the crud and fill in the facts.In February of 2017 our friend and maintenance man who is employed by the landlords stopped by the house to let us know that we were going to have to move asap, reason was stated that the house was going to be sold.
Now, before I continue the main reason we ( myself my brother and a disabled elderly man) moved into the home was so I could care for Chris, the elderly man" in this residence until he passed away. We would fix and repair things and my brother was to do the repairs. OK.we have not yet received any court documents we have only received a typed out letter telling us that we had to move. now this was in February of 2017. a week ago a letter came from the landlord saying by the 15th if we are not moved out she will be shutting off the utilities which have been in her name. We still have paid consistently monthly to her to put towards the utilities.Is this fair or legal also the home is substandard i mean if someone came to look at it it would be boarded up . What can I do If anything. We are on a fixed small income and the man that is under my care is disabled and a senior citizen. I care for him full time.

You can contact the city building inspector and/or the health department.

Does anyone have a written lease?

we have only received a typed out letter telling us that we had to move. now this was in February of 2017.

CA statutes require that you be given 60 days written notice of termination of tenancy if there is no written lease.

If that was done properly you should have been out last month.

If the landlord accepted rent for April and May, then the termination may have been waived or you may have become a tenant at sufferance which would still subject you to eviction.

a week ago a letter came from the landlord saying by the 15th if we are not moved out she will be shutting off the utilities

That would be illegal.

the home is substandard i mean if someone came to look at it it would be boarded up .

That won't help you. If the city inspected and boarded the place up you'd be out right then and there. Besides, you willingly live there so that's on you.

What can I do If anything.

Find another place to live. Sooner or later they will have you out. Accept that fact and move while you have some control over the when and the how.

You should moved... You were asked to move. Why put the title as slum? sounds like the landlord was allowing repairs. You seem to forget something. This isn't YOUR house and you were asked to MOVE. You failed to move when asked. Your the DEADBEAT now....

Back