Slip and fall

Queenbee1

Jurisdiction
Tennessee
I had a slip and fall. Last year in June. I filed suit June 3,2018. Now the corporation offered 1 million dollars, mind you , my attorney says it's probably a misprint, however, my question is, why couldn't I accept the offer instead of letting it go to Federal court, where he says I'll probably loose? If I accept their offer, does it still have to go to court? Feeling raolroaded!!!
Thanks

I had a slip and fall. Last year in June. I filed suit June 3,2018. Now the corporation offered 1 million dollars, mind you , my attorney says it's probably a misprint, however, my question is, why couldn't I accept the offer instead of letting it go to Federal court, where he says I'll probably loose? If I accept their offer, does it still have to go to court? Feeling raolroaded!!!
Thanks

You should speak ONLY to your attorney about this matter.

If you no longer trust your attorney, hire yourself a new attorney.

Don't take advice from starnagers.

Don't speak about your legal matters with anyone but your attorney, or someone you are interviewing to possibly become your attorney.

Don't believe anything about your case you might read via the internet.

Why?

You have TOO much at stake to lose by seeking the advice of people you know NOTHING about.

You should speak ONLY to your attorney about this matter.

If you no longer trust your attorney, hire yourself a new attorney.

Don't take advice from starnagers.

Don't speak about your legal matters with anyone but your attorney, or someone you are interviewing to possibly become your attorney.

Don't believe anything about your case you might read via the internet.

Why?

You have TOO much at stake to lose by seeking the advice of people

That's sad! Even misleading!! I think you should change your online ad!! Free legal advice??? Some kinda advice!!!
Thanks

Wouldn't it be sadder if a stranger gave you BAD or ridiculous legal advice?

If you were bleeding from your ears, would you try to seek medical advice for FREE over the internet?

Be thankful no one on this site dispenses "legal advice".

Legal Disclaimer:

The content appearing on our website is for general information purposes only.

When you submit a question or make a comment on our site or in our law forum, you clearly imply that you are interested in receiving answers, opinions and responses from other people.

The people providing legal help and who respond are volunteers who may not be lawyers, legal professionals or have any legal training or experience.

The law is also subject to change from time to time and legal statutes and regulations vary between states.

It is possible that the law may not apply to you and may have changed from the time a post was made.

All information available on our site is available on an "AS-IS" basis. It is not a substitute for professional legal assistance.

Before making any decision or accepting any legal advice, you should have a proper legal consultation with a licensed attorney with whom you have an attorney-client privilege.

For purposes of New York and New Jersey State ethics rules, please take notice that this website and its case reviews may constitute attorney advertising.

why couldn't I accept the offer instead of letting it go to Federal court, where he says I'll probably loose?

Huh?

What does "letting it go to [f]ederal court" mean? You told us you filed suit ten weeks ago. Did you file in federal court or state court? If the latter, is the defendant seeking to remove the case to federal court?

You're obviously free to have your lawyer communicate acceptance of the settlement offer. If it's a "misprint," you'll find out soon enough. If you're thinking that accepting the "1 million dollar[]" offer will force the defendant to pay that amount, you're wrong. If your attorney writes to the defendants attorney and says, "my client accepts your offer of $1,000,000," and if, in fact, the offer was a mistake, the plaintiff's attorney will simply by responding that "that wasn't the offer; there was a typo" (or words to that effect).

Query, however, why you're asking anonymous strangers on the internet for input about this when you're represented by counsel.

If I accept their offer, does it still have to go to court?

Again, you told us you filed suit, so it has already "go[ne] to court."

Feeling raolroaded!

Again, huh?

I think you should change your online ad!! Free legal advice?

Online ad? I doubt very much that this site runs ads that claim to provide "free legal advice" or "legal advice" at all.

Thanks

First, once lawyer filed the lawsuit on your behalf, the statute of limitations is no longer a factor. The life of a lawsuit is marked by certain events that do have time limits. Before those time limits begin to tick, the other side has to receive service of the lawsuit meaning they are formally served a copy of the complaint (lawsuit). Once the defendants receive service (service perfected), an answer to our complaint must be entered or filed with the court within 30 days. Afterwards, we enter into the first formal phase of litigation: written discovery.

Thanks
Now that's free!!

How does a slip and fall case get to federal court?

The questions you have asked here can only be reasonably answered by the attorney you already hired. That is the person with the knowledge of the case. Anyone else is guessing.

Back