slander

Status
Not open for further replies.

roadking348

I work as a independent contractor for a sales company. The company I am contracted with pays me compensation on other independent contractors I bring into the company.

If someone overheard me say " I heard she was in rehab... "
about one of the independent contractors I recieve compensation on; is that considered slander.

Since that contractor is bringing suit against me and telling everyone; do I have any recourse against her?

I have deep pockets as well as the company I represent.

Thank you.

If someone overheard me say " I heard she was in rehab... "
about one of the independent contractors I recieve compensation on; is that considered slander.
If that's ALL that was said, no. Merely passing along a rumor you'd heard is not slander. Additionally, one of the elements of slander is that damages to the injured party must result.

Since that contractor is bringing suit against me and telling everyone; do I have any recourse against her? You have no claim against anyone for telling the truth, even if you're not pleased about it.

I have deep pockets as well as the company I represent. Which I expect is what she and her attorney are counting on. You may not have slandered her and it may be a meritless claim but it's going to cost you some money one way or another - whether in legal fees in order to defend yourself or to pay her to drop it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back