Slander?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DianiaSullivan

Hello

My exhusband recently got married and at the reception the Bride got drunk, and told a guest there that she had me " checked out and that I was a drug user and that she had me "checked out" and knew that I bought drugs and a local resturant and bar. The Bride works for the state at a local prison and said that she obtained the info one me in a background check...I don't use drugs nore have I ever bought drugs! my question is this , is this slander and if so if she used her job to do this check and she works for the state what is actionable?
:)

Originally posted by DianiaSullivan:
Hello

My exhusband recently got married and at the reception the Bride got drunk, and told a guest there that she had me " checked out and that I was a drug user and that she had me "checked out" and knew that I bought drugs and a local resturant and bar. The Bride works for the state at a local prison and said that she obtained the info one me in a background check...I don't use drugs nore have I ever bought drugs! my question is this , is this slander and if so if she used her job to do this check and she works for the state what is actionable?
:)
As matter of fact, slander would be the appropriate cause of action. does this mean you could sue the state? Not sure since she used her position for unauthorized purposes and not in the course of duty (e.g. excessive force during an arrest.) Regardless, the amount of damages may not be worth the effort.

However, if you are more mad about the principle than the money then you could always send a complaint to the state -- but I wouldn't do that without having a notarized statement by the party who claims they heard the statements or else you might find yourself in the same situation!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back