Slander or Def of Chtr?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaLiMan1972

I used to work for a major auto repair franchise. I left when i found a new business for myslef. When i first started Business was going good and it was steadily going up. My X-Boss then was so pissed that i was doing soo good he started spreading rumors that i purposely fail cars so i can re-inspect them for an extra fee. I have customers who come to me and say that he told them straight up that i cheat people and purposely fail vehicles in their annual inspection requested by the State of California known as the "smog Check".
What do i need to start a lawsuit against this guy because my business did go down and i realised that it is due to these rumors this guy is spreading aBOUT MY SHOP. :(

THANK YOU.

To begin, you need to get the names of the people who heard these comments. You will want them to testify for you (you don't want to use a subpoena to compel them to testify.) You need to decide how much money it is worth -- small claims is great if you can get up to $7,000 in your jurisdiction. If you believe you lost more business you will need to be more formal and file in a civil court.

Your suit will be about defamation. You will need to plead and show that the defendant:

1) made a defamatory/false statement
2) spoke it to a third person (slander)
3) that it was about your profession or show that it caused damages
4) you will likely need to show/prove what damages that may result

and allege these items in a complaint. you can see sample complaints in the courthouse but you want to ensure that these "elements" of slander are stated in relation to your story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back