Slander and Privacy Rights

SicilianLisa

Jurisdiction
New York
In 2009, while working in the operating room, I found out from a coworker that another coworker and good friend of mine showed him pictures of me on her cellphone in my bra and panties. She also zoomed in on a pimple that I had and told him that I had genital herpes. My coworker then asked me while at work if I had genital herpes. I told him that I did not, and he told me that he was not the only one who was told that and who saw the picture of me in my intimate garments. He told me that my supervisor also saw the pictures. I then went back to work so upset and traumatized. I suffered severe ptsd had was so worried about how many people were told this and saw these pictures that I left my position and resigned. Since 2015, this woman who showed the pictures of me and told this story is an RN. I contacted the board of nursing and told them what happened to me and they were troubled by what they heard but they said they could not do anything to her because she was not an RN at the time of incident. At the time of incident we were endoscopic technicians, a position I originally got for her years ago. The company did not want to hire her. Any suggestions as to what, if anything I can do here? Thank you all for your assistance with this matter.

Any suggestions as to what, if anything I can do here?

It has been almost EIGHT, maybe NINE years since this alleged incident transpired.

I suggest you IGNORE it, FORGET it, and continue living your life.

The law doesn't have a remedy for each and every perceived, imagined, alleged, or actualized event.

For all you know, it may never have occurred.

Even if it did occur, the SOL has probably run.

All you have to go on is gossip, which means nothing in a court of law.

I'd have to ask why your coworker had a picture of you in your bra and panties in the first place? I'd have to ask if you ever went to your supervisor/HR and made a complaint back then?

There's definitely not going to be any evidence now and you will find most of those people have totally forgotten about it anyway. It was only a big deal to you. Plus you believed what "he" said...why? I guess that means there really was a picture she had of you in your underwear?

Like army judge said, the SOL is way past and no there is nothing you can do but move on with your own life...rather than trying to get revenge at this point.

I'd have to ask why your coworker had a picture of you in your bra and panties in the first place? I'd have to ask if you ever went to your supervisor/HR and made a complaint back then?

There's definitely not going to be any evidence now and you will find most of those people have totally forgotten about it anyway. It was only a big deal to you. Plus you believed what "he" said...why? I guess that means there really was a picture she had of you in your underwear?

Like army judge said, the SOL is way past and no there is nothing you can do but move on with your own life...rather than trying to get revenge at this point.

So much, so very, very much to wonder about.

I also fail to comprehend this incessant fascination with nudity and capturing the nudity on a camera or recording device.

Okay, so you look at yourself naked.

Enjoy the glorious moment, but what would prompt you to capture it and forward it to others?

So many naughty, nasty, freaky things these days.

She had the pictures of me in my bra and panties because I was getting an opinion of how the set looked from a friends' point of view. She also sent me pictures of her in her undergarments for an opinion. I erased hers and she shared mine and unfortunately shared nasty allogations along with showing them. I am not sure how long the SOL is on something like this. An incident report was done at the time. The company blamed the male coworker because he told me at work and I had to work a live surgical case immediately after. Being shocked like that definitely affected work performance to say the least. I still from time to time run into this former friend and she smiles boldly. I am quite confident that she shared my pictures and chose not to erase like I did and acted with intentional malice. As well as share her story with the pictures. I did speak to a lawyer at the time but they said that they would not pursue her because she did not have any money or assets, she was not an RN at the time of incident. The lawyer at the time could not fault the employer in some way. The lawyer said that pursuing her on an individual basis at the time, that she had nothing.

She had the pictures of me in my bra and panties because I was getting an opinion of how the set looked from a friends' point of view. She also sent me pictures of her in her undergarments for an opinion. I erased hers and she shared mine and unfortunately shared nasty allogations along with showing them. I am not sure how long the SOL is on something like this. An incident report was done at the time. The company blamed the male coworker because he told me at work and I had to work a live surgical case immediately after. Being shocked like that definitely affected work performance to say the least. I still from time to time run into this former friend and she smiles boldly. I am quite confident that she shared my pictures and chose not to erase like I did and acted with intentional malice. As well as share her story with the pictures. I did speak to a lawyer at the time but they said that they would not pursue her because she did not have any money or assets, she was not an RN at the time of incident. The lawyer at the time could not fault the employer in some way. The lawyer said that pursuing her on an individual basis at the time, that she had nothing.

Lesson learned - don't share pictures with people. It was wrong on her to do that but you can't change it now. You can only learn. I would have just invited my friend over and asked her how I looked but then again, I don't ask my friends how I look in lingerie or bra and panties. I'm not even sure why you needed a second opinion as who else beside you or a partner would see that bra and underwear? I might ask my friend about an outfit. Not my underwear.

I agree, it was wrong of her to share the picture with others, but for crying out loud, why on earth would anybody ask a friend for an opinion of how they look in their underwear, much less send them a picture?! A regular outfit, maybe. But I don't think I've ever known anybody to seek a second opinion about articles of clothing that nobody other than an intimate partner would be apt to see anyway. And sending cell phone pictures in any state of undress to anybody is unwise.

Back