Site Upgrade Schedule

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Wechsler

Administrator
Staff member
This week we've changed the basic view of the forums to more consolidated, added a few back end improvements you may have noticed including:

- An "are you sure this is the right forum" screen before users posts
- Limitations on what users can do until they have established some credibility here, e.g. signature and other links, etc.
- Consolidated forums

Weekend of 9/5 -
- adding new "must have links" on the top right forum column
- Adding a few extra categories to the forums
- sorting the posts into these extra subcategories
- finishing creation of the new site menu and navigation
- adding thelaw blog for information on what we're doing here
- finishing the extra legal forms and outlines to be added (about 50)
- finishing the new legal journal front end that will be added
- working on the new legal databases you'll be able to search at thelaw.com
- access thelaw.com on your mobile phone!

Week beginning 9/8
- putting online a new searchable code database
- putting up an enhanced site map
- installing a new help desk system with live chat feature
- creating the new legal directory system
- working on the new site design, mostly front end other than forums
- putting online about 20 new legal faqs
- adding in several new footer elements

If you're reading this, it means that the mobile version is working as I'm posting this on my Blackberry. It's quite bare but very quick and easy to read on any mobile phone. Special iPhone and Blackberry versions shortly.

After seeing my cell phone where my girls racked up over $350.00 in internet usage on their phone I think I will avoid mobile use lol

After seeing my cell phone where my girls racked up over $350.00 in internet usage on their phone I think I will avoid mobile use lol
I'll like the iPhone version. :D

- Carl

The one improvement i would love to see is limits on visitor messages. I get overwhelmed with visitor messages frompeopel who should be starting their own threads

The one improvement i would love to see is limits on visitor messages. I get overwhelmed with visitor messages frompeopel who should be starting their own threads
Ditto that! And they are often on some very specific problems that are outside the realm of MY knowledge ... real estate law, etc.

- carl

Or they have started threads with someone that has already answered their questions but they seem to forget that and then continue the thread in the wrong spot...

Last edited:
I'll like the iPhone version. :D

OK... but I'll need your help on this. I've just installed it and you should be able to see it. Since I don't have an iPhone handy atm, let me know what you see. :) It should automatically use the Iphone optimized theme.

Ditto that! And they are often on some very specific problems that are outside the realm of MY knowledge ... real estate law, etc.
Yep... this is a problem - you can bet that by this weekend this WILL happen:

1) There will be a specific message in the tags for people NOT to dump posts on people's profile pages. My own profile has enough postings to start a new web site, lol.

2) I will limit the number of PMs if you're a new user. The challenge is that people create a second account, post another message, etc. I'm going to see what I can do to make sure that if you're part of a certain group, you can't continue to send personal messages (it's why it's difficult for me to answer them here and recommend for you guys to just send me an email if you need to ping me quickly.)

3) Already working on an improvement for the "are you sure" thread post for new users (most of you won't see it) and it will also have a "show similar threads" function so people can find their answers instead of going over the same questions. I will also be adding the request for making sure that they post their state/country. The latter one may take a little longer.

4) In the top right corner I'm going to put up a couple of "link essentials" since most people have no attention span and won't look at the rules, etc. This will include "no confirmation code", "sending messages to users", "nobody answering your Q?" etc. These quick links will lead users to the knowledgebase where they'll find the answers they seek.

OK... but I'll need your help on this. I've just installed it and you should be able to see it. Since I don't have an iPhone handy atm, let me know what you see. :) It should automatically use the Iphone optimized theme.
It seemed to work for regular posts, but when I tried to reply to a PM earlier, it wouldn't come up with a space for me to make that reply. But, when I tried to reply to the PM I was at a meeting and outside my WiFi range, and when i just now checked the general forum, I was IN my home WiFi range.

But, works neat! The page looks different and appears optimized for handhelds.

- carl

It seemed to work for regular posts, but when I tried to reply to a PM earlier, it wouldn't come up with a space for me to make that reply. But, when I tried to reply to the PM I was at a meeting and outside my WiFi range, and when i just now checked the general forum, I was IN my home WiFi range.

But, works neat! The page looks different and appears optimized for handhelds.

Cool - thanks. I'm looking at the page through an alleged iPhone emulator and the top menu seems to be giving it all sorts of problems with the forums menu specifically. Does it appear fine on your phone?

Cool - thanks. I'm looking at the page through an alleged iPhone emulator and the top menu seems to be giving it all sorts of problems with the forums menu specifically. Does it appear fine on your phone?
Oddly, I can't see old posts, and right now I get a message saying that there has been no new posts on the forums in the last 365 days. AND, I can read but not reply to private messages.

Yeah, I'd say that the software is still a tad buggy.

- Carl

Oddly, I can't see old posts, and right now I get a message saying that there has been no new posts on the forums in the last 365 days. AND, I can read but not reply to private messages. Yeah, I'd say that the software is still a tad buggy.
Thanks - I'll probably be getting an iPhone eventually for testing since the emulator isn't working as well as expected. I've reverted it back to the site you see on the PC even though the WAP one will work. Let me know if the main site doesnt load properly or quickly enough and we'll look at the iphone version again in the meanwhile.

I can see it fine ... it's not "optimized" any longer (in other words the text is smaller and I have to expand the screen), but it loads at least as fast or slow as any other web page.

- Carl

Delay caused by implementation of new software - you'll like it. I'm thrilled with it and the forms and outlines section will look spectacular. Working on it this week and definitely up by over the weekend. While the current version works, this new one is far superior.

24 new social bookmarking icons added. Please let me know if you want these icons to also appear at the top of the thead - it seems more logical on the bottom. Perhaps a javascript popup at the top for the social bookmarking icons?

The above items to be added this weekend. :D Much more coming this week... I know you'll all love it. :)

Hi Guys and Merry Christmas

I am totally lost on the way the board is set up now--I know its my fault for not dropping by as often as I should. Glad to see your all well and doing fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back