Single Family Dwelling Obligations

Status
Not open for further replies.

quuen

I recently rented out my single family house at a dirt cheap price considering the economy. The contract was signed for AS-IS. The tenants are now requesting certain things to be fixed.

Bathroom sink to be replaced because of minor cracks (i dont mind to avoid injury).

Fridge to be replaced because of missing fan cover in freezer (again I dont mind to avoid injury).

Installation of screens for windows.

Replacement of water filtration system.

Installation of light fixtures (minor, I don't mind).

Replacement of dryer, not heating properly.

Repair of all electrical outlets not working (still needs to be tested).

Apparently they have already contacted the housing authority to find out what their rights are and I don't want problems, but I can't afford to sink more money into the house after the initial repairs done to be able to rent it and the discounted rent provided.

Essentially, as the contract was AS-IS, what are my obligations?

Appreciate the help!!!

Jurisdiction Location

The home is located in New York City. Most laws regarding repair and maintenance are for multiple dwelling units.

Focus on the issues that can be considered hazards (i.e., certainly the electrical outlets) and consider the rest luxury items. Make certain that screens do not fall into the "necessary" category (under HUD guidelines they often do).

Gail

Bathroom sink to be replaced because of minor cracks (i dont mind to avoid injury).
Go to Lowes/Home Depot and get a ceramic/porcelain paint sealant * don't replace

Fridge to be replaced because of missing fan cover in freezer (again I dont mind to avoid injury). Have appliance person check appliance and provide fan cover * don't replace

Installation of screens for windows. * don't do unless code requires

Replacement of water filtration system. * don't do unless code requires. Remove the system

Installation of light fixtures (minor, I don't mind). don't do if the current ones work

Replacement of dryer, not heating properly. Have appliance person check. Vent may just be clogged

Repair of all electrical outlets not working (still needs to be tested) * make sure they are not on wall switches and these are easy and cheap to replace.

If you are not renting under the housing authority (PHA), their criteria do not effect your rental. If you are renting under the PHA, then you would have had to have an inspection prior to signing a lease and if these items were not mentioned, do as I suggest

Although single family homes have many positive facets, it has its negative side too. The disadvantages of Single Family Residence.
A single family home is a more expensive type of home. The owner has to bear all the expenses, such as maintenance and repair costs of interior, exterior and everything that comes in between.The recreational amenities are often lacking, such as pools and playgrounds and if it is found in some single-detached homes, their owners have to pay a homeowners fee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back