Signed off the lease before the contract expires. Remaining tenant refusing to refund

Status
Not open for further replies.

drexel2004

My roommate and I signed 12 month lease. Due to his pet issue, he agreed to move out. He wanted me to sign him off the lease. When I got a estimate on his pet damage, the damage was too severe. The repairing cost estimated to be $1700, which is way over his pet deposit. I did not want to be responsible for his damage. So, I decided to move out instead, and he signed me off the lease contract.
When he was supposed to move out, he demanded $400 (claiming that that is 40% of his deposit) refund for his deposit. We both paid $425 each, totalling $850 rent deposit. I do not know how he came up with that calculation. But, he demanded $400.
Now, I am moving out, he is saying I will only get $225, saying that's my 50% of deposit. He claims that both party agreed to forfeit 50% of the deposit.
All conversation between two parties were exchanged vis email. And, there is no record of this agreement. The only agreement is his proposal of him leaving the property, and demanding $400 for his refund.
How do I make him pay me $400, the amount he was demanding when he thought he was leaving?
Per our rental contract, leaving party is supposed to forfeit all deposit.

If you have a written contract, sue him in small claims court to enforce it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back