Sick & Annual Leave - Federal Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

d0ubl3up

My wife works for the Dept of Homeland Security TSA in Colorado. She has accrued sick and annual leave, however her Manager, a civilian, is not allowing her to take it. She has called in sick a few times and instead of taking leave out of her available sick leave bank they are marking her as AWOL. Again, she has the available leave but her Manager is marking her as AWOL instead of sick which results in her not getting paid while sick.

A few weeks ago she took leave which was approved by her TSA Supervisor prior to taking leave. After she took leave her Manager disapproved the leave and marker her as AWOL. She also has accrued annual leave available for the leave which was approved.

Is this legal? Can the fed government decide to mark her as AWOL when she has approved annual leave and accrued sick time available?

Unfortunately the answer from her Supervisors is that the Managers can do whatever they want. I feel this is a lazy or scared answer that is unacceptable.

Thanks in advance!

It would be legal in the private sector. Stupid, but legal.

Don't know about government employees. AJ?

My wife works for the Dept of Homeland Security TSA in Colorado. She has accrued sick and annual leave, however her Manager, a civilian, is not allowing her to take it. She has called in sick a few times and instead of taking leave out of her available sick leave bank they are marking her as AWOL. Again, she has the available leave but her Manager is marking her as AWOL instead of sick which results in her not getting paid while sick.

A few weeks ago she took leave which was approved by her TSA Supervisor prior to taking leave. After she took leave her Manager disapproved the leave and marker her as AWOL. She also has accrued annual leave available for the leave which was approved.

Is this legal? Can the fed government decide to mark her as AWOL when she has approved annual leave and accrued sick time available?

Unfortunately the answer from her Supervisors is that the Managers can do whatever they want. I feel this is a lazy or scared answer that is unacceptable.

Thanks in advance!

This is unusual.

I've never heard of this happening.

What have you not revealed to us?

You said her manager is a civilian.

If she works for the TSA, she's a civilian, too.

Has she reported this to her union official?

Has she spoken to her HR rep about this?

Managers can't do what they wish, neither can sworn federal, agent supervisors, nor can commissioned military officers.

There are rules and policies and laws that must be obeyed.

Has she contacted her congressperson or either of her senators about this? If not, that is always an option, as is the agency's IG and ombudsman!

Oh, one more thing.

Some agency's require a sick call to be made so many hours before one calls in sick to get paid, or prove a medical emergency.

What are the rules she has been given in her agency?

It appears that TSA is having problems with the union and its application of sick leave.

If your union can't help, I suggest you speak to an attorney.

This thread is very interesting.

http://afgetsacontract.com/2011/08/15/issue-of-the-week-problems-with-leave/

It seems as if there is KARMA at play in the universe.

Sometimes you get, other times you get got!!!

Last edited:
Thank you, I've recently been schneairg for information about this subject for a long time and yours is the best I have came upon till now. But, what in regards to the bottom line? Are you positive concerning the source?|What i don't realize is actually how you are now not really a lot more smartly-favored than you may be right now. You are so intelligent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back