Should I fight a failure to stop at a stop sign ticket?

C

CB24

Jurisdiction
Missouri
I got a ticket for failure to stop at a stop sign in Kansas City, Mo.
Should I fight it?

In Missouri, you may be able to complete a defensive driving course/traffic school to:
> Satisfy the requirements of your court or the MO DMV.
> Avoid accumulating points when you receive a traffic ticket.
> Earn a car insurance discount.

Driver Improvement Program (DIP)
Missouri Defensive Driving & Traffic School | DMV.org
The following counties have authorized the Fine Collection Center (FCC) to approve attendance at the Driver Improvement Program to avoid point assessment on a Missouri Driver's License for moving violations.

The name of the county where you received your ticket is found on the top of your citation in the first block.

Counties that allow FCC to approve attendance at Driver Improvement Program:
Adair, Andrew, Atchison, Audrain, Barton, Benton, Bollinger, Boone, Buchanan, Butler, Callaway, Cape Girardeau, Cass, Cedar, Clay, Clinton, Cole, Cooper, Crawford, Dade, Daviess, Franklin, Gasconade, Greene, Grundy, Harrison, Henry, Hickory, Holt, Howell, Lawrence, Lewis, Lincoln, Livingston, Macon, Madison, Marion, McDonald, Miller, Nodaway, Oregon, Osage, Pemiscot, Perry, Pike, Platte, Putnam, Reynolds, Ripley, Saline, Schuyler, Scott, Shannon, Shelby, St. Clair, Ste. Genevieve, Sullivan, Vernon, Wayne, Webster, Worth, Wright.
...................................................................................
Counties that do not authorize FCC to approve DIP:
......................................................................................
If the county in which you received your citation is not listed above and you want to attend the Driver Improvement Program, you must first plead not guilty to the Fine Collection Center. FCC will then send your citation to the prosecuting attorney in the county where the citation was issued. After the prosecutor files the citation with the court, the court will notify you of a court date. If you plead guilty at the court, the court has the authority to allow you to attend DIP to avoid point assessment. However, this decision is made by the court on a case by case basis and there is no guarantee that the court will allow you to attend DIP to avoid points on your driver's license. You should check with the court in the county where the ticket was issued to learn about local policies concerning DIP.

How should we know? Did you stop? Did you have any witnesses? What is the fine/penalty and is it something you can afford? Does it require time off work and are you willing and able to take that time? What is your driving record like?

All of these are things you need to consider and which we do not know.

How should we know? Did you stop? Did you have any witnesses? What is the fine/penalty and is it something you can afford? Does it require time off work and are you willing and able to take that time? What is your driving record like?

All of these are things you need to consider and which we do not know.
I did stop.
No witnesses but me & the cop.
Fine is $104
Not sure on time off work for class.

I did stop.
No witnesses but me & the cop.
Fine is $104
Not sure on time off work for class.

You can do the class online and can do it at your leisure.
Read the links for complete details, or do your own internet search.
Completing the class gets your ticket dismissed and makes you eligible for a 10-20% discount with your auto insurer.
Ask your agent or your insurer customer service for specific details!!!

I agree that paying the fine and taking traffic school is your best way out.
Lots of times we think we've stopped when the vehicle still has forward momentum that we aren't sensing.
The officer's testimony that you failed to stop, or worse his dashcam video if it exists, will sink you.
It would cost you a lot more to try and fight it than to just pay the fine and take the class.

Back