Short Sale with uncooperative heirs to sign off on deed

B. Byrd

Jurisdiction
Texas
Hello. I am trying to buy a short sale property in Houston, TX which I have been waiting over six months. I'd thought things would be moving forward and the house would close, but then found out there are two sons of the deceased husband that have to sign off on the title in order to make the sale.
The house has been vacant for three years and is in need of a lot of work.
The current owner, is the surviving spouse of the deceased husband.
The two sons live in PA. The surviving spouses attorney stated they're were attempts made in 2012 to send the letter out to have them sign off, but no resolve.
Also, it has been stated the only way they were located in the past, was from hiring a detective. I found their profiles on Facebook and sent a message as my personal request asking for their help, but I am not sure they will respond.
It seems this is a bad family drama situation, where the stepmom does not know these two boys and the boys are not willing to cooperate, somebody may be under the impression there's profit to be made so they are refusing to sign.
There was no will. The surviving spouse would be entitled to 50%, and because the man has two surviving sons (from a previous marriage), they too would be entitled to 50% of the property. However, this is a short sale, so there is no profit to be gained from either parties.
I am making a cash offer for the short sale and hearing about the hang up of sale due to the title is really upsetting.
Does anyone know of a way around this?

Tell them to let you know when they have this resolved. Then you either wait for this property however long it takes, or find another property to purchase. As the potential buyer you can't resolve this.

Does anyone know of a way around this?

Yeah, run, don't walk, as fast as you can away from this deal. It's toxic. Don't waste your time or money on it because things will keep going wrong in a dysfunctional family that will spill over on to you if you keep at it and ultimately cost you money and you still might not get the house.

As previously noted, there is nothing you can do about this.

Keep in mind, while the short sale process is moving along slowly, the foreclosure process might not be so slow and, eventually, the bank will have the house back and put it up for sale where you can make your offer through the bank's realtors.

Back