Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting

Chris23334

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
So I got caught shoplifting at Walmart sort of they stoped me at the entrance and told me to come with them to the back room, they said they had me on camera stealing said item and told me to empty my pockets. I did and took out the item I was stealing but it wasn't the item they thought I took but anyways they asked for my information, I gave them my name and phone number but I gave them a fake address. They said I will be getting a something in the mail and that I should pay the bill and if not a warrant will be issued for my arrest. The police were not called at the store. What should I do as I gave them a fake address.

I gave them my name and phone number but I gave them a fake address.

Bad move, pal.

If you're gonna go FAKE, everything must be FAKE.

However, some people get lucky using the FAKE address move, especially if they only got pinched for taking NO VALUE trinkets.

All you can do now is hope the FAKE "addy" works, lay low, stop stealing, and for your sake stay out of that store for at least TWO years.

They said I will be getting a something in the mail and that I should pay the bill and if not a warrant will be issued for my arrest.

What you'll receive in the mail is a demand letter.

This is the NJ statute that allows merchants to SCAM innocent thieves.

2A:61C-1: Shoplifting civil demand, retail thefts, civil action; provided.

In addition to criminal charges in a shoplifting case, the store can demand a civil penalty

1. a. A person who commits the offense of shoplifting as defined in N.J.S.2C:20-11 or a person who commits the offense of theft as defined in Chapter 20 of Title 2C of the New Jersey Statutes by stealing food or drink from an eating establishment shall be liable for any criminal penalties imposed by law and shall be liable to the merchant in a civil action in an amount equal to the following:

(1)The value of the merchandise as damages, not to exceed $500, if the merchandise cannot be restored to the merchant in its original condition;

(2)Additional damages, if any, arising from the incident, not to include any loss of time or wages incurred by the merchant in connection with the apprehension of the defendant; and

(3)A civil penalty payable to the merchant in an amount of up to $150.

=============================================================

You will not receive a warrant because you don't pay the lousy $150 the merchant SCAMMER demands.

You won't be sued.

The merchant's lying, scamming "law firm" wants easy money.

Scammers don't fight for dollars, they want to scare the loot out of their victims.

The police were not called at the store.

That will make it easier for you get away with this foolish incident.

From this point forward never speak of this incident again.

If the police do come, very unlikely, admit to nothing, be polite, invoke by saying, "I invoke my right to remain silent. I want a lawyer."

Then say nothing, if you are arrested, give your name, correct address, date of birth, BUT say NOTHING about the incident.

Don't speak about anything other than name, address, age, employment, etc... NOTHING more, keep invoking silence, be polite, ask for a lawyer.

What should I do as I gave them a fake address.

What fake address?

Be smarter, don't ever mention any of this again.

they asked for my information, I gave them my name and phone number but I gave them a fake address.

You did not provide any form of ID? Did you give your correct birth date? If you did then they will have the means to locate you- but having the means doesn't mean they will.

that I should pay the bill and if not a warrant will be issued for my arrest.

Entirely untrue. Unless a criminal complaint is made there will never be a warrant. If police haven't been involved up to this point they never will be. If anything ever comes of this it will be a dispute over the civil demand.

What should I do as I gave them a fake address.

Just wait. Maybe some day you receive something, maybe you don't. If you do receive a letter demanding money you might visit a local attorney for a quick consult before paying. It is not a fine, not a debt you legally owe... Just a letter saying pretty please send us money. You have the option to refuse to pay. It is unlikely you will be pursued beyond the occasional letter in the mail. Stamps are cheap, court is expensive.

What exactly is it that possesses folks to post about their criminal activity online and identify the victim of the crime?

Back