Shoplifting

jas123

Jurisdiction
Texas
m 16 and live in Texas and was caught shoplifting at Walmart . They took me into a office and made me fill out some papers and took a picture of me . Later the cops showed up , but they said that since it was my first time getting in trouble and I'm a minor and only stole $40 worth of stuff I won't go to jail , but they gave me a $100 citation and said I had to call the number that was written on it before a certain date. when I did, it was the judge and she said I had to go in front of her and talk to her . Does this mean I can go to jail ? Will this be on my record ? Please help

m 16 and live in Texas and was caught shoplifting at Walmart . They took me into a office and made me fill out some papers and took a picture of me . Later the cops showed up , but they said that since it was my first time getting in trouble and I'm a minor and only stole $40 worth of stuff I won't go to jail , but they gave me a $100 citation and said I had to call the number that was written on it before a certain date. when I did, it was the judge and she said I had to go in front of her and talk to her . Does this mean I can go to jail ? Will this be on my record ? Please help

You and YOUR PARENTS will appear in court.
I suggest you inform them, before the police or the courts do so.

Minors usually don't go to jail, they go to a Juvie home, or TYCA.

You and YOUR PARENTS will appear in court.
I suggest you inform them, before the police or the courts do so.

Minors usually don't go to jail, they go to a Juvie home, or TYCA.

One of the cops told me he COULD take me to a juvenile detention center but that since it wasn't $100 worth of stuff I won't go . And also because I'm 16 . He said I just had to call the number to see how I'm gonna pay the ticket . So why do I have to go to see the judge ?

One of the cops told me he COULD take me to a juvenile detention center but that since it wasn't $100 worth of stuff I won't go . And also because I'm 16 . He said I just had to call the number to see how I'm gonna pay the ticket . So why do I have to go to see the judge ?

For starters because the judge instructed you to see him or her.
Beyond that, I suggest you discuss this with your parents.
You're a minor, and your parents are required to represent you in court.
Without boring you and myself with a longer answer, ask your mother or father.

I highly doubt you are going to jail/juvie for a 40 dollar shoplifting offense if this is your one and only offense; shoplifting or otherwise. Do as the Judge says, show up with your parents, dressed in your Sunday's best, act like you care and say you're sorry. Pay the fine and move on with your life. From then on, get a job so you don't have to steal items with a real value of 4 dollars from Wallyworld.

Tell your parents & let them handle from there.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. You can do NOTHING without your parents since you are a minor. they might talk to an Attorney to see what plea options might be available to you.

Back