Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting ????

Lilah45

Hey I am a 21 year that got shoplifting in California. I was taken to a room and put handcuffs on me. They took my picture and information down. They called police but never showed up and release me into my own custody 2 hours later. I read and signed a paper I had to pay a Civil of Demand of $425.00 within 5 days. I paid $80.00 that same day. Now my question is since their was no police involved I do not have to go to court, right? I was issued an California Civil Recovery Law: In the state of california, merchants are allowed to recover a portion of the cost involved in protecting their assets.

The store policy is to attempt to collect a Civil of Demand penalty of $425, plus the value of damaged merchandise. You are not obligated to pay the Civil Demand fee today. The payment of Civil Demand has no bearing ad to whether or not you are prosecuted.

Summary:
1. a conviction is not required.
2. Applies to adults and/or guardian of emancipated juveniles.
3. The Civil Demand penalty is a miniimum of $50 to a maximum of $500.

Can I call and ask the store what's going to happen? So I don't have to pay the full amount of the Civil Demand? But how much do I have to pay? Will this go on my record? If so when can I get this expunged?

Last edited by a moderator:
The truth is that you don't have to pay a penny if you don't want to. They are counting on your fear and cooperation.
You don't legally owe anything at all unless a judge orders you to pay, and the likelihood of something this petty making its way into court is incredibly slim as the cost of doing so far outweighs any award they would receive.
You already gave them 80 bucks. Talk with some local attorneys as to whether you should pay anything more.
Your were wrong for shoplifiting, but don't let them scam you either.

Also, depending on the jurisdiction, there are counties in the Bay Area and in So. Cal. that are now filing petty theft and shoplifting cases electronically to police departments without the police actually showing up. While that may mean no immediate citation, it could mean that charges may be pending some time down the road. So, the fact that the police did not respond may mean that no charges are filed, but, it is possible that they could be. The state has up to one year to initiate charges.

Back