Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting Questions

Misguided1

Jurisdiction
California
Hey there. So, the guilt is eating me up alive. It's killing me in all honesty. I've been stealing trading card game...cards from some place, I guess, for the last couple months. I would varicose switch and scan them through self check. I still paid, but not as much. Yes, I stopped. But I did like, $100 in damage. What are the chances of them sending the police to get me?

And, I actually gathered what I took these last couple of months. I'm going to return it this weekend. I'm also going to pay for what I DIDN'T initially pay for. I have my cash ready. What will most likely happen once I do that? What should I expect?

Thank you,
A Human Being

There's no way to predict what will happen when you walk in and confess to committing crimes against the store.

Maybe they'll appreciate your honesty and let it go.

Maybe they'll make an example of you and have you arrested on the spot.

I suggest you don't do this without first consulting a criminal defense attorney.

Or, just don't do it at all, destroy what you took, sweat it out for a couple of months to make sure nothing comes of it, and never do it again.

I'm not one to condone criminal behavior and I think your life should end up in the toilet for what you did but, as a practical matter, confessing to crimes when you don't have to is a bad idea.

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. One of your BIG problem sis you just confessed online for anyone to see and since you named store (another mistake) they could become aware that way as well. If the store has not yet filed a criminal complaint they will or they know who you are. If guilt is getting the best of you send them the cash anonymously.

Back