Other Criminal Charges & Offenses Shoplifting incident

K

Koopcat314

Jurisdiction
New Jersey
Hi, I was caught shoplifting yesterday at kohls in nj. I was brought to the back room and this guy and girl were asking me if I knew why I was here and I answered no. Then the guy asked me again and I said yes. The guy told me I could be in and out in five minutes if I just returned the stuff. I was scared at first so I told them that the stuff was in the store in a place where I had left them. Then the guy proceeded to tell me that that wasn't everything that was missing and said he was calling the cops. I finally gave them back all the things. They had me sign paperwork with my address, ss#, and telephone. He took a copy of my driver's license and then told me if I understood all the papers I signed. I said yes even though I really didn't even read them since I was so scared. He was very insulting telling me I was going to go to jail and how I ruined my life. And then all of a sudden he hands me my license back and tells me to just go. There were no cops outside. I'm so scared and confused. I don't know what can happen next. I really hope that they'll just send me the civil demand letter (which I plan to pay) and that'll be the end of it. Any experienced comments and knowledge on what may happen is appreciated.

In 99% of cases similar to yours, all a person ever gets is a letter demanding you to pay up.
How much?

It's between $200 and $500.
It might be more, could be less.
Google "civil demand letter NJ" for more details and other horror stories.

After this ordeal, just STOP stealing.

The risk is never worth the reward.

Pls, STEALING is a crime.

I am a Retail Theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. If the did not file Police complaint at time its unlikely they will now unless provoked by your returning to store, stealing again or failing to pay Civil Demand.

Hey shrinkmaster, can I email you to find out what database the walmart I was caught at uses? I could really use the help in simply finding an answer to what and see whether or not I'm in there despite being a first timer offense.

Hey shrinkmaster, can I email you to find out what database the walmart I was caught at uses? I could really use the help in simply finding an answer to what and see whether or not I'm in there despite being a first timer offense.

Your original post says you were caught shoplifting at Kohl's - were you caught shoplifting twice?

We're not in the habit of passing out emails - what a good way to catch spam. o_O I suggest if you wish to contact members on this forum that you use the messaging system. And Betty did not offer to answer your question, another member did so. Betty was merely asking for clarification.

okay, but how do you use the messaging system here? Also i was just clarifying for Betty because I thought she confused me with the original poster of this thread. I meant to ask Shrinkmaster his email or at least a means of contacting him.

okay, but how do you use the messaging system here? Also i was just clarifying for Betty because I thought she confused me with the original poster of this thread. I meant to ask Shrinkmaster his email or at least a means of contacting him.

I did - didn't note you were someone other than original poster posting in OP's thread. It seems shrinkmaster has given you his e-mail address.

You really shouldn't hi-jack another poster's thread.

Your prior thread/post: How can I check if I'm entered in a Shoplifter's database?

Back