Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting in CA

Status
Not open for further replies.

fionawong

I am 19 years old and a student. I was shoplifted in a retail store with a value of $230. The LP caught me and brought me to their office. They typed the report, took my ID, made me sign the paperworks and banned me from the store. I did everything they wanted me to. They also told me that there will be a letter mailing to my home soon for the civil demand. After they did all the paperworks, they called the police. I had been waited there for 2 hours for the police. But since there was a protect on the street, the police called them back said they will not get here in the next two hours. So the two people who caught had discussed a little bit. I was so scared so i didn't ask anything until they talked to me. The person in charged told me that I am lucky too and I can go now. So I asked them what will happen now. He said I have to pay the Civil Demand promptly and can never enter any their store, otherwise they will arrest me. They didn't mention about court and police and they let me leave finally. So right now, they have my ID information, took a picture of me and the stuff i stole but they do not have my fingerprint and SSN. What should I do now? I know that I will get a mail about Civil Demand soon and i will pay it immediately. And I will never enter their store again.I am so nervous right now and have a few questions in my mind now.
1)Will they give my information to the police even though they let me go based on your experience?
2)Do I need to go to court?
3)Will there be any criminal record on my file?
4)Should I contact them to ask if they reported it to the police?
5)How long will I be banned from the store?
6)How much is the Civil Demand would be?
7) Would it affect me being a US citizen? I am currently holding a green card and plan to be a citizen next year.
8) Since I am born in Hong Kong, will there any criminal records on my file in Hong Kong if I really get charged? Or it will only appeared in my file in the US?

Any comments will be helpful and I appreciate it!

1)Will they give my information to the police even though they let me go based on your experience?
Hard to say but yes they can still file a criminal complaint and then a warrant for your arrest will be issued or you will be contacted by Police to surrender
2)Do I need to go to court?
Only if they filed criminal complaint
3)Will there be any criminal record on my file?
See previous answer
4)Should I contact them to ask if they reported it to the police?
You can but that might provoke them to file
5)How long will I be banned from the store?
They should have told you at time of stop. If you dont know just stay out period!
6)How much is the Civil Demand would be?
My guess (its only a guess) around $500.00 maybe more
7) Would it affect me being a US citizen? I am currently holding a green card and plan to be a citizen next year.
If store files criminal complaint yes
8) Since I am born in Hong Kong, will there any criminal records on my file in Hong Kong if I really get charged? Or it will only appeared in my file in the US?
Right now nothing has happened so relax

Thank you for your answers but I still have some questions:

1) How long the retail store have the right to file a criminal complaint? I am in CA.

2) Will the police contact me directly? Or will they just mail a summon for me to go to a court? What other situations may happen?

3) Is there any way to keep my record clear if they really file a criminal complaint? This is the first time I did this.

4) Does it mean I can only wait and see what will happen? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better?

5) Is it possible that the retail store can ban me for a lifetime? Is there any way I can remove the ban?

6) Are they going to put me in worldwide retail theft database? If so, will it be a problem for me to look for jobs? Will the record be showed up to the company that I apply for even if they do not file a criminal complaint?

Ask as many questions as you like thats why we are here

1) How long the retail store have the right to file a criminal complaint? I am in CA.
For a misdemeanor one year

2) Will the police contact me directly? Or will they just mail a summon for me to go to a court? What other situations may happen?
Its up to DA and Police

3) Is there any way to keep my record clear if they really file a criminal complaint? This is the first time I did this.
Yes ask your Attorney about Diversion

4) Does it mean I can only wait and see what will happen? Is there anything I can do to make the situation better?
All you can do at this point is wait and hope they dont file

5) Is it possible that the retail store can ban me for a lifetime? Is there any way I can remove the ban?
They can ban you for two lifetimes if wish. You can contact their corporate office and ask for ban removal. There is no guarantee they will do so however

6) Are they going to put me in worldwide retail theft database? If so, will it be a problem for me to look for jobs? Will the record be showed up to the company that I apply for even if they do not file a criminal complaint?
Some retailers use a retail theft database they put shoplifters in even if they dont prosecute. These databases are only accessible to other subscribers. so yes potential employers could see this if they subscribe to aforementioned database. I would suggest you not seek work in any retail establishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back