Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting in ca

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnonymousL84

Hi
I'm 26 years old and just got caught stealing from this worldwide store for the amount of $20. I was stopped right after I exit and taken to this room where they took my ID and SS, they ask for my address and phone number. There are no police involved for they say they dont want to call police. They just hand me this asset protection recovery Paper. The paper was just saying that I was involved in shoplifting incident and that the Bennett law will retained civil damage and if I would like to resolve the civil damage just call the 800 number or email them(store email add) prior to receiving any additional communication. After that i was just told that I will get fine in mail in 6 weeks and I was let go. Since this is the first time I've been to this situation I have so much questions and I'm scared to death, I'm only a permanent resident and not a citizen.
My questions are:
Will it affect my residency?
Will I go to jail?
Will I go to court?
Is it gonna reflect on my background or record?
Do I have to do community service?
Do I have to attend school from trying to shoplift?
If I get a fine, how much estimation can u think?
Are they gonna stop after I pay the fine?

Thank you so much for taking time reading and answering this post. Please give me some heads up about my problem.

And I forgot to mention, I did not sign anything and they didn't do finger printing. And I email and called them but they say that my name will not pop out of the system until next week and just call them after a week. Is emailing them and calling them a good idea? Thanks

Will it affect my residency?
No unless criminal charges are filed
Will I go to jail?
No
Will I go to court?
Not unless criminally charged which you appear to have not been
Is it gonna reflect on my background or record?
Criminal background check no, retail theft database check possibly
Do I have to do community service?
No as ther ei sno pending court date
Do I have to attend school from trying to shoplift?
See Previous answer
If I get a fine, how much estimation can u think?
$200.00 - $300.00 is my estimate
Are they gonna stop after I pay the fine?
Is what going to stop?

First of all I want to thank u for making me feel better by answering my questions. What I meant by are they going to stop, is will they stop by not calling me or giving me headaches after i pay the fine, will they still file something against me? Is my record going to be bad specially if they check my background for job? Or will i get somethinh else after paying? One more question is, you state that my residency will not be affected unless they file for criminal charges, how big are the chances for me to be charged for criminal charges? And what does criminal charges apply for? Like what example can you be charge as criminal? For my situation can I get criminal charges for that? I'm so sorry for asking this questions it's just that I don't know nothing about all this law and their meaning. lesson learned. Again thank you so much..

Thank you.. One more thing, I mention on the post that the letter they gave me say that if I would like to arrange or settle the problem about civil demand ahead of time is to call
Them or e mail them(the store) which I did.. Is that a good idea? Because I e mail them and been asked to call their 800 number, I did call and been asked to call back in a week. Should I call back or just wait on the letter on the mail? And one more thing could it be possible that the letter they going to send me will indicate that I should go to court? Or it's just about the fine? I dont want to go to court that's why I'm asking. Thank you for being so helpful.

Its up to you to call or not. If your in hurry to resoelve issue call. The Law firm seeking the civil recovery has nothing to do with any possible criminal charges so they are unrelated

Ok thank you.. So you said there is a possible criminal charge they can do only if I didn't pay the civil demand right? But besides that I shouldn't have any more worries to think about after the fine is paid right? Thank you shrinkmaster, I appreciate your help a lot. Blessed your heart from helping people by answering their worries..

No I did not say that. What I said was they are unlikely to file any criminal charges unless you provoke those action by not paying civil demand maybe not even then. However as stated the likihood of criminal complaint being filed is very very low and even lower if you pay the civil demand which I suggest you do promptly. You should be fine and this should be over once you pay civil demand and this will be behind you. You see the store has nothing to gain by filing a criminal complaint unless they use that complaint to get court ordred resistitution, which wont be needed if you pay civil demand

Hi,
I now got the civil demand letter from Palmer reifler & associates. I was wondering if that's where I should pay because the letter that the LP gave me on the day I got caught says: the store name had retained bennet law, pllc to recover the civil damages and /or penalties allowed by your states law. Please respond promptly to any correspondence you may receive from our office or bennet law pllc in order to resolve this matter. So should I pay to The law offices of palmer and reifler or wait for the bennet law pllc coz that's what's written on the asset protection recovery letter that the LP gave me. Thank you again.

Be aware that P&R are very agressive at pursueing these monies. Once you determine if they are acting on behalf of the store then pay then promptly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back