Criminal Law Shoplifting, Illegal, Green Card..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom66

Hello. I am a new in this site. I need a good advice. Please.
I came to U.S. in 2003 on J1 visa. Student exchange program. In September 2003 i was convicted in shoplifting. So i get misdemeanor...it was less then 200$. I spent in jail 2 weeks. In police report my last name with mistakes. But they have my fingerprints. My visa was expired at 2004 and i became illegal. Now i am getting married U.S. citizen. The question is...will i have any chance came legal..? get a Green card..?
Thank you very much for attention and advice...

You would face problems about the charge while filing for change of statues……….it might however meet the petty offense exception.
-Where you in status ever since you got here until now that you are getting married?
-What is the maximum possible jail time you could have been convicted of?
-What state?
-Was the disposition of the case jail time?
-Give me all the details of the disposition of the case.

1. I been in status when i was i jail in 2003
2. i spent 2 weeks in jail
3. i am lost my status after...my visa expired in 2004
4. now i am illigal
5. Code Section: 18.2-103 State Virginia.
6.Case Type: Misdemeanor
7.Fine 276$.

I would post your reply later today Saturday........Keyboard problem.

I just checked the crime and it seems it is punishable by a maximum of one year in jail. That would mean it would not affect immigration petition. You would be okay. But they would require you to provide all relevant information and be honest about it. Your offense meets the petty crime exception law of US immigration. Just double check to make sure the maximum possible jail time is a year. You have just one chance at the exception of CIMT. So be careful.

Thank you very much Mafiso for good advice. Its make me feel better. Now i am a good person...and hope i will stay in this way in future..

Anytime...................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back