Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft shoplifting at kohls

Status
Not open for further replies.

t912

i was caught stealing from kohls department store, a associate assumed i was stealing in the dressing room although there was no evidence and told the lp agent. the agent followed me to my car and asked me to come back in the store. we went in a room and she accused me of stealing two shirts but said she would not call the police. so i gave the shirt back and signed papers, although there was still no evidence. the lady said that i wouldnt get a fine because the shirt was only 13 dollars. but i have reiceved 2 letters and several phone calls from a law office saying i owe them $200. i think she put down that i stole the other shirt as well as the one i returned because why else would i get a fine the shirt was not damaged and it was only 13 bucks. do i have to pay the fine? if i had 200 dollars i wouldnt have stole a $13 shirt. also will this be on my record? will they tell my job? i dont want to get fired. do i need a lawyer? can they garnish my wages? i have bills.

Re: shoplifting at Store Name

Quick question then we can address your issues. How do you feel there was no evidence? If nothing else fact you had shirt is evidence. I am curious as to why you feel there was "no evidence"?

yea i gave the shirt back but other than they had nothin i saw the video and the only saw me pick up a few things...thats it...like the other shirt that she accused me of taking i did pick up but i ddnt take it.

First off they have evidence the shirt you did not pay for! That alone is enough. However the video you saw (that is surprising) Has evidence as well. Let me explain

. You are seen or recorded selecting shirt
. You are seen or recorded taking said shirt into fitting room
. You are seen or recorded leaving fitting room without shirt
. Fitting room is inspected upon your exit and no shirt is found

Taking all that in where is the shirt? Simple "you" have it! That is evidence

You can get a lawyer regarding the civil fine which may not include other shirt! $200.00 is norm for a theft of around $20.00. Hiring a lawyer will cost you more than the fine and could provoke store to file the criminal charges they did not file at time. I advise users to pay Civil Demand. The consequences for not paying can be severe and long lasting. Which is why we suggest paying along with many other reasons. You got off lucky pay the fine. Not paying will make things worse and more expensive. You cannot likely win this battle

thanks for the advice. no they did not have me recorded entering or leaving the dressing room just picking up more than 3 pairs of shirts and pants...if they had real evidence before me giving the shirt back they never would have let me see the video they would have called the police immediately because i gave her a really hard time asking to see video and all...anyway thanks again and do u know what the fine is for? again the shirt was returned, with tags, undamaged

Its called Civil Demand and its state law. It helps cover the huge cost to protect store merchandise and similar issues

You were in possession of property which was not yours. That's the only evidence they need.

I would call the people and work out a plan to pay them back. If they sue you in court, they will win and can sieze your assets and accounts to settle their debt.

You have not been charged as of yet so there is no record outside of the store and any retail theft database they might subscribe to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back