Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting at (Dept. Store)

Status
Not open for further replies.

wellimadeanoops

I made a foolish mistake. I was looking at a bunch of these cheap keychain watches, and put one on my keychain, to see how it would fit with my keys. At that point, I got a phonecall, from the person that I was shopping with, that they were ready to go. In my absent-minded idiocy, I dropped the keychain in my pocket and started heading out, completely forgetting that I had an unpurchased keychain. On my way out, I was approached by the LP people, and brought to the backroom. The item was worth $10.49, and I made it "unsellable" because I put it on my keychain. I signed paperwork, took a picture, and was told that I would be getting a ticket in the mail. This morning, a week after the incident, a cop came to the door, making sure this was my home.

My question, is what should I expect?

Last edited by a moderator:
Expect nothing but plan for it. Talk to an Attorney and ask him/her about your defense options. Be sure to ask about ACD or Diversion as plea options

Seriously, your argument is it had to be attached to your key chain before you could determine how good it looked!!! I suggest you hire a criminal lawyer fast. He might get you diversion. Your story is only going to get conviction.

I made a mistake, and I'll pay for it however I need to. I just want to know what I should be expecting to happen?

This is my first offense, and I'm surprised by the escalation. I didn't expect a ten dollar keychain to result in $325 and the possibility of a court date.

If you pay the 325 that should be the end of it. If you don't pay it (and you have no obligation at all to pay it) then you may have to go to court later if store chooses to proceed. There you could work with an attorney to present your defense.
Hopefully you did not make a statement to the police, and you shouldn't if they return.

You might want to seriously consider paying the civil demand. If you do, that should be the end of it - no criminal action taken.

I removed the name of the store from the title of your thread for your protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back