Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shoplifting at Costco

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brig W

Jurisdiction
Florida
Dear Madam or Sir,
I am a 72 year old retired woman. I was caught shoplifting toothbrush heads and batteries at Costco. The items were valued at $65. The police were called and I was charged with misdemeanor shoplifting. I was told that I am banned from Costco, but not for how long. I signed documents they put in front of me, but was not given a copy. I have never shoplifted before, have never committed a crime before, and I am 72 years old.

My questions are:

What questions can I anticipate from the Judge and what sentence can I expect?
I read that in Florida the penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting is up to $500 and 2 months in jail. I am terrified that I may be sentenced to jail.

Should I tell the judge that I am taking medication for depression and anxiety or will he see it as if I'm trying to make an excuse for my actions?

Do I need a lawyer? I am scared.

For how long am I banned from Costco?

Will I receive copies of the documents that I signed at Costco in the mail?

Thank You,

Do I need a lawyer?

Yes. A lawyer has a better chance of getting something like deferred adjudication where the charges get dismissed after a probationary period. You won't know how to do that.
And you certainly don't want a conviction on your record.

I have no idea. I'm sure your lawyer will be able to find out. Just don't count on going back any time soon.

Probably not. But your lawyer might be able to.

Dear Madam or Sir,
I am a 72 year old retired woman. I was caught shoplifting toothbrush heads and batteries at Costco. The items were valued at $65. The police were called and I was charged with misdemeanor shoplifting. I was told that I am banned from Costco, but not for how long. I signed documents they put in front of me, but was not given a copy. I have never shoplifted before, have never committed a crime before, and I am 72 years old.

My questions are:

I read that in Florida the penalty for misdemeanor shoplifting is up to $500 and 2 months in jail. I am terrified that I may be sentenced to jail.

Should I tell the judge that I am taking medication for depression and anxiety or will he see it as if I'm trying to make an excuse for my actions?

Do I need a lawyer? I am scared.

Thank You,
Seriously? You decided to dip your toes in the crime pond for the first time by shoplifting toothbrush heads?...after 72 years as a law abiding citizen? Really? Or is this just the first time getting caught?

Odds are you will be offered a plea deal and not have to answer any questions. Expect to pay fines and have a probation period.

Do I need a lawyer? I am scared
A lawyers assistance can help to minimize the damage and set you at ease.

Probably forever. Do yourself a favor and avoid Costco stores.

Probably not, but you could call and ask for them.

You can expect a civil demand from Costco in addition to your criminal issues. Costco is one of the few chains that I know of that actually pursue these claims in court. This is going to cost you a couple of orders of magnitude over what the purchase price.

The ban is FOREVER and for all LOCATIONS until Costco decides to rescind it. If you behave yourself for many years, you can beg corporate to let you back in. They are under no obligation to allow this.

Shoplifting is typically punished by a find and/or community service.

As far as questions from the judge, you'll be asked how you plea (guilty, not guilty, etc.).

I am terrified that I may be sentenced to jail.

It is virtually inconceivable that anyone at any time would actually be incarcerated for shoplifting $65 worth of stuff. It is even more inconceivable given your age and the existence of a pandemic.

Dealing with excuses offered by defendants is a large part of what the criminal justice system does. I doubt, however, that either your medication or the reasons why you take them would be of any relevance to a shoplifting charge.

Do I need a lawyer?

Wouldn't be a bad idea.

No one here has any way of knowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back