Criminal Law shoplifting 25 years ago

Status
Not open for further replies.

uk99

25 years ago, in my early 20s, I was convicted of theft (shoplifting) in an English magistrates court. It was the only time I have ever broken the law and I bitterly regret the whole incident.

I was fined £30 (about $55).

I don't know if the records still exist.

Do I need to declare it on a visa application form to visit the USA as a tourist?

Also, if I should want to apply for a green card, or ultimately for residency, how would it affect my chances?

I've read the relevant law documents relating to moral turpitude but I don't understand them.

Yes, you have to include this on the visa application if asked. The law does not care about when the conviction was.

Read the thread here, the question about theft convictions has come up a hundred times before and I have answered it.

NYClex said:
Yes, you have to include this on the visa application if asked. The law does not care about when the conviction was.

Read the thread here, the question about theft convictions has come up a hundred times before and I have answered it.

Thanks for your reply.

I did actually read through the thread several times before posting, including all your other replies about theft convictions.

What I'm still none the wiser about is how this will affect my chances of entering the USA either as a visitor or, potentially, to work.

I'd really appreciate any light you could throw on this.

Thanks.

The rule is: nobody with prior criminal convictions for crimes of moral turpitude can enter the United States. Exception:
If it is only one conviction and for a crime of moral turpitude (which is theft) if the conviction was for not more than 6 months in jail and the possible maximum sentence was 1 year or less.

Most probably your case fits the exception so it will not affect your possibility to travel to the United States.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back