Shoplifted at PX

Fearless22

Jurisdiction
Missouri
My Boyfriend is currently in AIT finishing up this week to come home. He innocently put $10 earing in his pocket just forgot about them and didn't pay for them. He zoned out and didnt realize he had put it on his pocket , He was taken to the police station, Commander picked him up he got fingerprinted and said his true statement but he wasnt told anything else since is sunday we have to wait until tomorrow. His very scare because 9 years ago he has a record of taking a money from a bank . His suppose to graduate on the 16th and come home :( what's going to happen? Any advice?

I am a Retail theft consultant and answer questions like yours daily. However we cannot predict the future so we cannot say what will or wont happen. i can say it would be unwise to answer any questions without an Attorney. By the way no one puts unpaid for merchandise in their pocket! Unless of course the intent was to take it. However IF he did I would strongly suggest he NOT use that as his defense. See "Accidental Shoplifting"

He has a bit of a mess on his hands. The best thing he can do is obtain legal counsel and speak to ONLY that person about what happened.

Most people don't accidentally put things in their pockets. He will have a hard time playing the innocence card even if he truly had no intent to steal.

His legal counsel can explain his options. This will be a bit different than most cases because it happened on base.

My Boyfriend is currently in AIT finishing up this week to come home. He innocently put $10 earing in his pocket just forgot about them and didn't pay for them. He zoned out and didnt realize he had put it on his pocket , He was taken to the police station, Commander picked him up he got fingerprinted and said his true statement but he wasnt told anything else since is sunday we have to wait until tomorrow. His very scare because 9 years ago he has a record of taking a money from a bank . His suppose to graduate on the 16th and come home :( what's going to happen? Any advice?

His CO picked him up, and because he's active duty one of three things are possible:

1 - CO or 1SG could simply choose to chew him out, he can agree to an ART15 (non-judicial punishment & a fine from his pay), and do extra duty.
2 - CO could seek a courts martial.
3 - CO could simply chew him out, let him go.

You'll just have to await the news, and his outcome.

His suppose to graduate on the 16th and come home :( what's going to happen?

You want possibilities?

Article 15 punishment could include reduction in rank, forfeiture of pay, restriction to base, official reprimand.

He might not be graduating or coming home on the 16th.

As stated above all could happen. Plus they could kick him out of the military all together. Which they should.... Don't let him graduate but ship his butt home with a dishonorable discharge.

So the bank thing - did he get convicted of stealing from a bank? I'm surprised he got in if he had that on his record. They haven't been waivering a lot of criminal stuff the last few years.

Back