Shoplifting, Larceny, Robbery, Theft Shop Rite Shop llifting

Crowes23

Jurisdiction
Connecticut
I was caught a few weeks ago shoplifting at ShopRite in Fairfield, CT. I paid roughly $59 for grocery items at the self check out but forgot to ring up Beet Juice, Tooth paste and one other item. The total of the items was probably between $20-25, I happily paid for the items, apologized for forgetting although the loss prevention guy at the store gave me a look like he didn't believe it was a mistake,They went through my recept against what was in my cart and was allowed to pay for the items. The police weren't called, wasn't asked to sign papers, I wasn't told to never return and was allowed to leave the store with the items. Should I still expect to be arrested after the fact?

I was caught a few weeks ago shoplifting at ShopRite in Fairfield, CT. I paid roughly $59 for grocery items at the self check out but forgot to ring up Beet Juice, Tooth paste and one other item. The total of the items was probably between $20-25, I happily paid for the items, apologized for forgetting although the loss prevention guy at the store gave me a look like he didn't believe it was a mistake,They went through my recept against what was in my cart and was allowed to pay for the items. The police weren't called, wasn't asked to sign papers, I wasn't told to never return and was allowed to leave the store with the items. Should I still expect to be arrested after the fact?

With your admission above, you elevated a simple mistake to a crime.
Keep your mouth shut about this.

Not sure why you would identify the store by name AND location in a public forum, but no one here is likely to know anything about the loss prevention practices of this company or particular store. Nor is it likely that anyone here knows the likelihood that the local police in your area will make an arrest based on a shoplifting report.

One thing I noted about your post is that you didn't mention whether the loss prevention person took your name and contact info. Rather obviously, if he didn't, then there would be no way for the store to report you to the police and for an arrest to result.

the loss prevention guy at the store gave me a look like he didn't believe it was a mistake,

Well, 3 items does stretch credulity quite a bit, especially when you have to take each item out of the cart, place it on the scanner, then bag it. Hard to miss 3 items that don't get scanned.

You were very lucky that the incident didn't escalate into something more serious. Be more careful from now on.

Back