Harassment, Stalking, Misconduct Sharing the ID of other person

N

Natalia

Jurisdiction
Washington
Hi,

For the safety reason, can I share the ID of a stranger with my friends and leasing office if I meet with him ?

We had had a very strange experience when we wanted to move and found moving guys, who lied about having a moving firm.
After we broke the contract he behaved aggressively. I told him that I will show his photo and name to my friends and leasing office just for the case. He told me that he filed the police report on me because of it. He said I do not have right to share his personal information.

Do I have this right or not to show the photo of his ID only with photo, name and address for my safety reason? I deleted all other sensitive information on the picture of his ID.

If not how else we can protect ourself when meeting with a stranger?

Thank you!

What are you asking? So you got scammed by a moving company and then somehow you go the guy's ID? How did you get that guy's ID?

Do I have this right or not to show the photo of his ID only with photo, name and address for my safety reason?

I suggest you forget any idea along those lines.

If you believe you have been the victim of ANY crime, call the police, make a report.

Otherwise, if you've encountered a scammer and you try to do what you're thinking about, the scammer might play in far more dangerous ways.

People get KILLED for taking matters in their own hands, especially if you've never swam in the cesspools where these criminals bathe, defecate, urinate, sleep, eat, and play!!!!

We called the police. It is difficult to say if it is scammers or not until the crime happen. As you see we broke the contract, let them $250 down payment. They harassed us with a lawsuit if we do not pay the rest in 24 hours. We didn't and blocked their phones. Actually, we asked the police per phone if I can show their photos and names to friends or leasing office. They told I can. But after that, this guy wrote that he files the police report.

It looks as scamming but we cannot tell it is until it happens. Until it happens the police is not interested. Because of it, I am looking for the answer. Can I share their info? It is only thing I can do since the crime didn't happen. We figured it out earlier. And blocked their phone from texting us.

So can I share their info? They gave me their IDs, since they required the downpayment.

We broke the contract 6 days before real moving. And they still required full payment in 24 hours. They looked as criminals, they were lying about having a company (this company was closed 5 years ago), but police told us that they still can operate. Since they harassed us only with lawsuit, police wasn't interested.

If you guys think that the scammers can be reported to police before scamming happens, you are wrong. We tried. And NOW after speaking with police I would really like to know how far I can go with sharing their photos and so,

Last edited:
So can I share their info? They gave me their IDs, since they required the downpayment.

I wouldn't do it.
Even if someone told you that it's okay to do, there is a great risk by doing so.

If you believe you don't owe, don't pay.

Block them, don't communicate with them, don't mention their name or details.

If they do sue you, fight back in court.

If they sue you, you've already argued your defense.

I'll say it again, at this point, let it go.

Then go silent, stay silent, until you're sued.

I doubt the scammer will sue you.

Scammers want easy money.
Going to court and suing a victim is too much work for a scammer.

Whatever money you lost is the cost of learning another life lesson.

Trust nothing, believe nothing, pay nothing until you've validated the claims anyone makes.

Never pay for anything until you've received the good or service.

If someone demands money BEFORE they've done any work, or delivered any product, consider that a scam.

I don't think they will sue me. Even if so, it is not a problem, we are insured. Like army judge said, I didn't know how far they can go. And how far criminal they are.

Why I can not show their ID to friends or leasing office? Just for the case. Since police cannot do anything. It is about me feeling safer going out of my apartment. What exact law prohibits me from sharing this info for the safety reason? I just want to know it for this case and generally for the future, if I meet a stranger for some reason and do not feel safe.

Last edited:
And what is the punishment if I do so? Sometimes punishment is lesser than the risk of not doing so. I just want to know the consequence. Maybe the consequence is lesser than a risk of not doing? They were pretty angry when they didn't get what they wanted. Texted us at 4 am. It cannot be that I cannot share anything. That would be a paradise for any offender! If I can, what exactly I can share? I even signed in leasing contract that I must report any suspicious activity. I would very appreciate the exact info about sharing their photos and names (maybe address) with leasing office. What exactly I can share, what not and why. Guessing is good, but I would like the exact info, since police officer told me per phone I can share, however, I would like to know exactly. What, with whom, in which amount, and by which circumstances I can share.

Last edited:
And what is the punishment if I do so? Sometimes punishment is lesser than the risk of not doing so. I just want to know the consequence. Maybe the consequence is lesser than a risk of not doing? They were pretty angry when they didn't get what they wanted. Texted us at 4 am. It cannot be that I cannot share anything. That would be a paradise for any offender! If I can, what exactly I can share? I even signed in leasing contract that I must report any suspicious activity. I would very appreciate the exact info about sharing their photos and names (maybe address) with leasing office. What exactly I can share, what not and why. Guessing is good, but I would like the exact info, since police officer told me per phone I can share, however, I would like to know exactly. What, with whom, in which amount, and by which circumstances I can share.

No one can guarantee that you can safely do that which you wish to do, expose the alleged perpetrator.

The laws that MIGHT apply if you do a you propose could be slander, libel, or tortious interference with business.

They are generally creatures of our common law, civil law, and various legal; precedents and decisions over the years.

I can't cite the specific law, because I don't know exactly how damaging your claims might be to the person, assuming the person is legitimate.

Furthermore, not every human behavior is codified.

Why?

If it were, this would be a fascist, communist, or totalitarian state.

I can simply say, if you doubt whether you should engage in any activity, its best not to then engage in that activity or conduct.

As I said, you do possess free will.

That means, despite knowing something to be illegal, people still do it, ie murder, robbery, speeding, theft. etc...

Last, even if you "expose" the scammer, such revelation won't harm it.

You might know the scammer as "Joe Dough".
So, you "expose" "Joe Dough".
The scammer might really be "Marvin Mink".
So, he stops pretending to be "Jow Dough", and continues scamming as "Roger Roach".
Scammers rarely can be stopped, and they don't care if they're "exposed".

Anyway, not much more we can say, other than wish you luck, stay safe, and be smart.
Good luck.

Thank you!
We do not conduct any business with them anymore. But they were into our apartment and saw everything we have. I wanted to share this info not to stop them, but for the case, if real criminal activity happens. The photo could help, even if the name is wrong. If nothing bad happens, this info will just stay in the leasing office. I signed in contract, that I should report any suspicious activity. So now I should choose - break the leasing contract or break the eventual "good image" of person who looked like a criminal, behaved like a criminal and was into my apartment. He does not have an active company anymore. What damage can this cause to the company that does not exist already 5 years?
I am just wondering, now we should be afraid to share the feedback, write the review or anything like this because it can damage the business. He should have been thinking about his image when he was texting me at 4am. pressing money out of me that he didn't earn. Now I should be thinking about how damaging can be the truth to his business?

Anyway, when he pressed he wanted to scare. And when I was scared I told him that I did it -- shared the info with the leasing office, though did not do it yet in that time. The last SMS before I blocked him was that he has already filed the police report on me. I still would like to know if it can be truth and what are the consequences.
What is the consequences of telling the truth about the person (I have everything in text messages) to leasing office and showing the photo and name that he voluntarily gave me?

Last edited:
Thank you!
We do not conduct any business with them anymore. But they were into our apartment and saw everything we have. I wanted to share this info not to stop them, but for the case, if real criminal activity happens. The photo could help, even if the name is wrong. If nothing bad happens, this info will just stay in the leasing office. I signed in contract, that I should report any suspicious activity. So now I should choose - break the leasing contract or break the eventual "good image" of person who looked like a criminal, behaved like a criminal and was into my apartment. He does not have an active company anymore. What damage can this cause to the company that does not exist already 5 years?
I am just wondering, now we should be afraid to share the feedback, write the review or anything like this because it can damage the business. He should have been thinking about his image when he was texting me at 4am. pressing money out of me that he didn't earn. Now I should be thinking about how damaging can be the truth to his business?

Anyway, when he pressed he wanted to scare. And when I was scared I told him that I did it -- shared the info with the leasing office, though did not do it yet in that time. The last SMS before I blocked him was that he has already filed the police report on me. I still would like to know if it can be truth and what are the consequences.
What is the consequences of telling the truth about the person (I have everything in text messages) to leasing office and showing the photo and name that he voluntarily gave me?

Right now no crime was committed. You broke a contract with them so if they wanted to they could sue you. As armyjudge already said that you could be opening yourself to libel, slander or defamation if you share information about them.

You have no proof that they scammed anyone or you. So if you post such information and their IDs they can sue you for slander or libel, etc.

Just because you think someone behaved like a criminal or "looks" like a criminal does not make one a criminal. One has to be convicted of a crime to be a criminal.

If they are harassing you block them. If they come around you file a police report about harassment or stalking.

You can do whatever you want - but you better be prepared for the consequences. Is it worth it? Just block them and forget it unless they file suit against you.

Thank you, guys! In other words it is not about me sharing their photos, but about what I tell by sharing it with leasing office? As far I just tell the facts without blaming or assuming anything, its ok?

Thank you, guys! In other words it is not about me sharing their photos, but about what I tell by sharing it with leasing office? As far I just tell the facts without blaming or assuming anything, its ok?
Why do you need to tell the leasing office anything? Are they renting an apartment there? If not I don't think the leasing office can do anything except stop them from advertising in their complex.

You do what you want. That is on you.

We did it because the leasing office wanted it. Since we are living in the secured building. We have let them in the area which is accessible for residents and management only. We told the story to the leasing office -- only the facts, nothing about our thinking or assuming. They saved the security recording of that day and time. Moreover, they asked for the photos and names.

If we will get killed (as army judge assumed is possible with scammers), they will be found -- with the real name or without. This was the thought concerning the question why to share the info with the leasing office. In the new place we didn't share anything, just told the story and said that our previous leasing office has all the info. Friends stayed only verbally informed, but also know where to look for the info in the case. I hope I did everything to stay on the legal ground.

PS. And yes, I already bought the antianxiety pills haha.

Last edited:
I see no problem in providing a photo to the leasing office, I just wouldn't add any commentary or assumptions about them. In secure buildings it is not unusual for the owner to require permission for who may or may not enter an unit.

Back