Shaddy Lease-Purchase Contract

Status
Not open for further replies.

SassyNana

While renting a home from a real estate agent who was doing the property management for a friend on this home, he approached us about his own personal property he was interested in doing a lease-purchase with us since we were such good tenants.

In August of 2007 we signed a Lease/Purchase agreement and put down $10,000 to hold the selling price at $278,XXX. The contract was for one year and it did state non refundable. We also signed a Lease Agreement with the payments of $1,850 per month. In June of 2007 we tried to purchase the home. We were unable to qualify and I notified the owner of this. He He even agreed to create a false Lease/Purchase agreement in order to try to help us buy the home but that was to no avail. After that time I was in constant communication with him. We needed a new agreement not only for the lease/purchase, but also for the lease agreement. He kept telling me that he would get to it but that he was so busy. He said that if we did move out of the home that it would "put his family in financial ruin". The agreements we signed were due to expire on August 20, 2007. That day came and went and he just kept telling us not to worry he would get to it.

On or about Dec. 15, 2007 he called us and said he was going to have to raise the lease or now month-to-month rent to $2,200. I told him then that it was impossible. He called me back on Jan. 7, 2008 and asked if we could swing $2000 a month. I told him no and that we were giving him a 60 day notice as of that date.

Since all of the agreements that we signed had expired on 8-20-2007, are we entitled to any of our $10,00 we put up to hold the purchase price?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back