sexual assault investigation fairness

Status
Not open for further replies.

helper4life

My question is about 3 months ago I went through an investigation process as a victim of sexual assault at work by one of my co-workers. At the timeof the ccompany's decision of my case I felt like the situation was somewhat fairly investigated but at the same time I felt like I was made out to be the person who was guilty. Fast forward to today and finding out that one of the coworkers who I thought for sure woukd have been brought in and questioned was never questioned. I am now wondering how fair my investigation was concerning my situation was. My question is do I have a legal right to see the details of the investigation and possibly who if any one was interviewed? I know there is confidentiality concerns but where do I stand as the victim who now feels unfairly treated?

My question is do I have a legal right to see the details of the investigation and possibly who if any one was interviewed?

No.

Is this a POLICE investigation? Or, simply an employer's investigation?

If the police were not contacted, why not?

No this was an employers investigation. Sorry I didnt make myself clear.

If you were actually sexually ASSAULTED, why didn't you call the police??? Was this actually some form of workplace sexual harassment rather than a sexual "assault?"

If you are the victim of a crime, YOU don't have to pay out any money. The police will investigate and the state will prosecute. Flirting doesn't justify an actual attack. Unless there are details you have failed to provide that might make this a consensual encounter, you should probably contact the police.

Genitals were revealed and was placed on the floor with clothes never taken off but the individual on top of me.

I'm unclear as to how someone removed genitals and placed same on the floor. Was anyone cut during the removal of the gentalia? Also, how did this attacker remove the genitalia without taking off the clothing of the victim?

That's horrible. I hope you're getting help, counseling, and receiving medical care.

You shouldn't waste any more time with an employer investigation.
You should report all of this to the police.
For what it's worth, you sound very credible.
I believe you.

A couple more questions, OP.
How old is the attacker? A guess is okay.
How old are you?
What stopped the attacker from going further?

Also, you're NOT to blame.
Even if you flirted, you didn't deserve to have that whacko cut you, or lay you out like a rug.
You're a victim.
Report that evil monster to the police ASAP.

Last edited:
Based on what you posted, this should have been more than an employer investigation. You definitely should have contacted the police.

But as far as the employer investigation goes, Fair is subjective. What you consider fair may not be what someone else considers fair. The employer's obligation is to make the illegal behavior stop. That's all. They're not required to tell you anything at all about the investigation or make the discipline of the other person public or even confirm that discipline occurred; nor are they required to draw the same conclusion you drew as to who is at fault. They are required to make any illegal behavior stop. Period. You don't have to know if it was "fair" as you define fair - all you need to know is that the unlawful behavior stopped. Assuming it did. Did it? If so, the employer has done all they are legally required to do.

This is completely separate from whether you should call/have called the police, which I agree you should/have.

You were afraid to lose your job so you reported it to only the employer?? That makes zero sense. Employers are ill equipped to investigate criminal matters and have extremely limited recourse. Expecting them to handle this as the police would is unrealistic.

Either way you re not entitled to the details of their investigation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back