Sewer line w/o right of way - Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADR84

Bear with me through this.

My fiance bought his house from his grandmother a year ago. She did not live there, she simply owned the house.

There is a right of way for the neighbors to access their property. It wasn't needed, his grandmother was just being nice.

On the other side of the right of way, there is a piece of property that he owns. Well, the neighbors put their sewer line through that property (dug up the ground themselves) and then into the right of way several years ago. His grandmother never knew because she didn't live there.

He found out about it roughly 6 months ago when the neighbors approached him to purchase the land.

Since then we drew up an agreement and the wife (husband's in jail) signed it and put $200 down towards the purchase. This happened on June 20, 2006. I (his fiance) signed it and she did. My fiance did not. Would this document stand up in court if it came down to it?

Since then she has been trying to sell her home. She can't sell the house with an illeagal sewer line. We found out who her realtor is and informed her realtor. We have also spoken to the local sewer department and they are doing research but have so far came up empty handed as to why they were even allowed to tie into the sewer without a right of way from my fiance's grandmother.

I guess what I'm asking is, how long do we have to give her to pay us for the property? If she doesn't buy the land by that time, how do we go about getting her sewer line moved/removed?

I really appreciate any input on this. I am 22 years old and have never had any experiences like this. Thank you so much!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back