Repairs, Maintenance Severe leaks and mold

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejos_abs

Ten months ago, a bank took over this property because the former owner lost it due to foreclosure. The property is now for sale. Our current landlord is a man at the bank. He is constantly unreachable and rarely returns a call, and the only time we can reach him is during business hours at the bank. There are several major things going wrong at this duplex- several leaks from the walls because the roof is almost non-existent, and severe black mold growing on an entire wall that leaks below a light fixture in our entryway. At first the landlord quite rudely told me the mold was just a stain. I then overheard him talking to the repairman about how bad the mold was, proving he blatantly lied to my face. The repairman even urged him to get this fixed quickly. He assured us he would have it fixed. It is now months later and the mold and leaks keep getting worse. He doesn't return my calls and when I do reach him, he just says he will get back to me with a date and time of repairs. Is he legally responsible to fix this promptly, and can he evict us rather than fix it? I'm unsure what my rights are in this situation, if I have any at all. I've documented everything and will continue to do so. We really don't want to move. We don't want to lose our home over this.

Another suggestion- make sure that the person you are talking to is actually the one responsible, and then provide WRITTEN notice of the problem. Make sure you follow the procedure for reporting repairs that is set forth in your lease, or in your state law. Simply calling him and telling him about it is not sufficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back