Several questions about the power of schools. Please answer ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCaptain

First of all I live in minnesota I'm 16(junior).

Ok recently at my school me(and all my freinds) have been suspended at one point or other for insubordination. It's was always for the same thing too, we refused to give up our possessions when teachers tried to take them, or gave them up after excessive aruments. Now then my first question, can teachers/administrators comfiscate your property w/o any due process? I'm fairly farmilliar with Goss v. Lopez and the precident it establishes for the inclusion of time in school as a property right which are protected. Tinker establishes the Constitutional right don't end at the schoolhouse gates so under these notions wouldn't phisical property be also inclueded under constitutional protection for due process?

Next under the Minnesota Pupil Fair Dissmissal Act i am guranteed an unbiased judge. Now how can an instuctor or administrator who i just pissed off be unbiassed? Am I intitled to an alternative to give me my due process? Can I press charges against my school/shool personel for violating my due process?

The teacher who tried to take my phone when i didn't give it up said that if i didn't give up my phone she would have some one come to our classroom to take it. Can any person employed by the school use any force to take property that is on my person? Can my teacher threaten me as did, in other words it the threat of force to take my property considered intimidation, or verball assult? Can I press charges against her for this?

My principal once said that once property was confiscated it became the property of the school. Does that statement have any truth to it?

Finally is there any place where I cna look up both federal and state laws as pertaining to constitutional rights in school? It has to be realaively easy to use because its difficult for me to sort through all the stuff. Also if anyone point me to any State Supreme court, Cirtcut Court, or Supreme court cases that involve any testings of Goss or Tinker in court, that showed their limits, or had anything to do with them in general.

Last edited:
I only read this: "Ok recently at my school me(and all my freinds) have been suspended at one point or other for insubordination.

you have a federal action. They cannot do that. Please check your pm's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back