Settlement Question

Bmat121

Jurisdiction
Texas
I applied for big lots about 2 years ago and I recently received a settlement check in the mail for $24. Big Lots was sued for 1,100,000 & I wasn't even informed of the lawsuit Big Lots had against them. I wanted to know am I able to receive more than $24.

The short answer is how should we know? Who sent you the check? What did the documentation accompanying the check say? You mentioned a lawsuit, but it's not completely clear from your post whether there's any connection between the check you received and the lawsuit. Is there a connection? Who filed the lawsuit, and what was the lawsuit about? Why do you think you might be entitled to received anything more than what you've already received?

I applied for big lots about 2 years ago and I recently received a settlement check in the mail for $24. Big Lots was sued for 1,100,000 & I wasn't even informed of the lawsuit Big Lots had against them. I wanted to know am I able to receive more than $24.

Those who associate themselves with class action lawsuits rarely receive more than $20 to $25.

Hyundai and Kia owners received about $400 recently.

Read this about such lawsuits:

6 Things You Must Know About Class-Action Lawsuits

I presume you're asking about this lawsuit:

Robrinzine v. Big Lots Stores Inc.
United States District Court, Northern District of Illinois Case No: 1:15-cv-07239

Robrinzine v. Big Lots Stores Inc. Settlement - Frequently Asked Questions

The short answer is how should we know? Who sent you the check? What did the documentation accompanying the check say? You mentioned a lawsuit, but it's not completely clear from your post whether there's any connection between the check you received and the lawsuit. Is there a connection? Who filed the lawsuit, and what was the lawsuit about? Why do you think you might be entitled to received anything more than what you've already received?

Robrinzine V Big Lots Inc Settlement Fund
Claim No: 00245086

And I feel like there more to the settlement because 1,100,000 was given out from Big Lots

Claim No: 00245086

And I feel like there more to the settlement because 1,100,000 was given out from Big Lots

That might be true, mate, but MOST of the winnings go to the plaintiff's class action attorneys.

Sadly another well kept, dirty little secret.

I've gotten down to my last pair of shoes
Can't even win a nickel bet
Because, ah them that's got are them that gets
And I ain't got nothin' yet
I'm sneakin' in and out duckin' my landlord
All I seem to do is stay in debt

Because, ah them that's got (yeah) are them that gets

And I tell you all I ain't got nothin' yet

That old sayin' them that's got are them that gets

Is somethin' I can't see
If ya gotta have somethin'
Before you can get somethin'
How do ya get your first is still a mystery to me
I see folk with long cars and fine clothes
That's why they're called the smarter set
Because they manage to get

When only them that's got supposed to get

That old sayin' them that's got are them that gets

Is somethin' I can't see
If ya gotta have somethin'
Before you can get somethin'
How do ya get your first is still a mystery to me
I see folk with long cars and fine clothes

That's why they're called the smarter set

Because they manage to get

When only them that's got supposed to get

Whoa, I tell you all
I ain't found nothing yet.
You know I just don't understand it

I can't seem to get a nickel or a dime for a cup of coffee

I need a hamburg- in fact a hot dog wouldn't be too bad

I would just be grateful if I could get my hands on most anything

Googling the name of the case leads one to this web site, which provides all the information you need to know about the case.

Among other things, a settlement was preliminarily approved this past February and received final approval in June. The deadline to object to or opt out of the proposed settlement was in May. The case concerned allegations that the defendant "violated the Fair Credit Reporting Act by procuring background checks on employees and job applicants without providing the disclosure required by law."

The settlement was for the defendant to pay "$1,100,000 into a settlement fund. The fund will be divided pro rata among all Settlement Class members who do not opt out, after any awarded attorneys' fees and expenses, and [the class representatives'] compensation have been deducted. If the expected requests for attorneys' fees and expenses and the Plaintiffs' awards are granted by the Court, your share of the fund will be approximately $23.69."

It appears that notice of the action was given by e-mail, which would have been approved by the court. Your original post indicates you didn't receive the notice; these sorts of notices sometimes get caught in spam filters or are ignored as such. You could have opted out and received nothing, but it seems that you got a few cents more than was estimated. Your post doesn't indicate whether, in your case, a background check was done and, if so, whether it was done without the required disclosure or, if one was done without the required disclosure, whether you suffered any damages as a result. Water under the bridge now.

Not sure what you're saying here, but the terms of the settlement are fully explained at the web site. As in most cases of this sort (i.e., cases in which a defendant might have committed some sort of technical statutory violation in which no one was really harmed as a result), most of the settlement $$ goes to the plaintiffs' class attorneys. You, on the other hand, received relatively little, but it's $24 you didn't have before, and you got it without having to lift a finger, so go buy yourself a few pints or whatever you like.

Back