settlement for work injury

Status
Not open for further replies.

injuredwing

Hello..........I am living in Wisconsin............I fell on a wet unmarked floor at work in July of
2002.. I was injured...and off work..I received Workmans Compensation.... In November my doctor ordered an MRI as they couldnt determine what was wrong......Turns out I had a torn rotator cuff from my fall.......SO surgery was scheduled for Jan of 2003........I had surgery and still received Workmans Compensation.....I went thru Rehab....."work hardening"........and finally was sent to an "independant doctor" which he determined I was 20% disabled........"permanently"........that was in July of 2003.....in September of 2003 I started receiving a monthly check for my loss...One more thing........."My job layed me off...they wouldnt take me back" not even on light duty with restrictions................... I will be paid until September of 2005 the amount they determined my loss was as determined by the state of Wisconsin....... I asked if this was my settlement and the insurance company said "No". My question to you is this. Is there a statue of limitations for a settlement? Also the amount they determined to pay me was 21,000 dollars in my monthly checks which I receive 918 /month now until Sept. 2005............ I guess I wanna know if I should contact a lawyer or not?? Will they wait to settle with me ? How much time do they have to settle?? Please remit Id appreciate the advice. thank you........."injured wing"..........

Last edited:
"Also the amount they determined to pay me was 21,000 dollars in my monthly checks which I receive 918 /month now until Sept. 2005" That certainly sounds like a PPD (permanent partial disability) settlement to me.

What I suggest you do is contact the WC claims analyist handling your claim and ask him or her to explain to you exactly what benefits you have, are, and will be receiving. Ask as many questions as you wish until you understand. And then ask the WC analyist to put it all in a letter to you as well, so that you can refer to it if you get confused down the road.

If you can't get your questions answered or feel you may be entitled to more benefits than you are receiving (which *may* include vocational rehabilitation and loss of future earning capacity), then consult with a WC attorney.

injuredwing,
I strongly recomend that you find a lawyer ... I was injured in December of last year 2006 and recieved a letter of General Admission of Liability and I refused to handle my case by myself which is what my Lawyer attempted to have me do. I told her that " You won my original Disability case for me so I would rather have you handle it because no matter how much I might save filing myself it would be worth it because I want to make a statement to the area that I live in and to the Corperation I was working for being it is against the law to be injured on the job then be insulted and discriminated against by getting fired the very next day after my fall without being sent to a doctor! Get a Lawyer for sure ...

rockinbear, just as an FYI; this thread is from 2004. Whatever the resolution, I'm pretty sure it's settled by now. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back