Septic easement

Mountain Life

Jurisdiction
North Carolina
I purchased property April 2017 there was a easement for another lot to use my septic tank. This agreement was written when the lots were condidered "part time campsites" now the majority of the lots are now full-time residents. We recently had a septic line break which I had repaired and discovered another resident had tied into my septic line as well. Needless to say no one wants to assist in helping to maintain the tank or share cost of repairs. What are my legal rights?

What are my legal rights?

Whatever it says in the recorded easement document.

I don't think that the easement changes with the change from part time to full time but there may be something in it that can compel the neighbors to contribute to the repair and maintenance.

Get a copy from the county recorder and check it out. Take it to a lawyer if necessary.

You might be wasting your time and financial resources by attempting to repair the septic tank and/or seeking payment from the deadbeats.

If I were in your position, I'd simply have a new septic tank installed, leaving the old one for the deadbeats to repair.

Creating or attempting to create a list of "rights" would serve no useful purpose, and we obviously have no idea what your easement says.
It basically states I allow them to use this was written and agreed by owners 22 years ago when all the properties were camp sites only for part time people from FL

Whatever it says in the recorded easement document.

I don't think that the easement changes with the change from part time to full time but there may be something in it that can compel the neighbors to contribute to the repair and maintenance.

Get a copy from the county recorder and check it out. Take it to a lawyer if necessary.
Also just discovered there are actually 4 homes on one tank 3 full time homes one part time home

Summaries written using non-standard sentence structure isn't going to help.

Unless you want to quote it (not summarize it), all anyone here can do is suggest you consult with a local attorney.

Back