Selling share of property

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbvalley

I own a quarter share of a parcel of land in Schoharie County, New York. Two homes on property. My brother and 2 sisters are the other co-owners. Can I sell my share to a third party? How complicated might that be? Thanks.

I own 1/2 a house and I tried selling my share but was told I could not without the other owner's approval. They have the right to block the sale. Hope that helps.

Selling shares of property

Years ago my sister, brother and I were gifted with a small piece of land that my parents owned in the Missouri Ozarks. Although there are no structures on our plot, it is in a planned area with some vacation homes constructed nearby.

Our brother died in 2000, and his one-third ownership was inherited by his widow. However, she has now apparently moved away from the city in which they lived, and all attempts to locate her have failed.

My sister and I wish to sell the land. How should we proceed? Is there a legal process we can follow such as running an ad declaring our intent?

This answer is going to be a very state specific legal answer. You may have to run a quiet title action, but I doubt that will cure your problem. I personally would hire a Private Investigator to find her. It shouldn't be hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back