Selling License Products On The Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joker_Party

I'm the owner an Internet website that sells party supplies. I sell about 4 types of party supplies one of them being Hollywood Theme Party Supplies. I buy my products from licensed wholesale dealers here in California and in Las Vegas. I also have a California Sellers Permit and pay all state taxes required by law.

Well I just received a letter from an Attorney Representing The Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce telling me I am selling licensed products without their permission. That selling Hollywood Theme Party Supplies gives the impression that my company and Hollywood is in an association together. That if I wish to continue to sell Hollywood Theme Party Supplies I would need a license from the Hollywood Chamber of Commerce. It also states that I owe for back sells of products sold under Hollywood Theme Party Supplies.

Why do I the retailer buying from wholesalers that already paid the licensing fees once, why am I being told to pay fees for selling Party Supplies with a Hollywood Theme? I have never had one wholesaler ask me if I had permission from the Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce to buy and sell their products. I sell large Dinner Plates and Napkin with movie lights design and the words Hollywood on them but it's made buy AMSCAM Inc. I'm sure AMSCAN one of the largest party supply manufactures has all the rights to manufacture and sell this products.

Also I bought the Hollywood Walk Of Fame Star Tile from the person that holds the excusive rights to produce and sell a replica of the Hollywood Walk Of Fame Star. The company I buy them from is listed with the Hollywood Chamber Of Commerce. Why must I have a license from Hollywood to sell party supplies I bought from legal wholesalers?

In addition a few months ago a friend helped me in designing an image for my homepage. We used an old personal photo of the Hollywood sign and removed the words HOLLYWOOD from the photo and Added the words "GOT PARTY?" The image was about 2" x 2" and placed in the left corner of my Homepage. Well in the Cease and Desist letter they claim I am doing something wrong because they own the Hollywood Stylized Mark also known as the Hollywood Sign. I never used the Hollywood Sign only the Hollywood Hills.

What steps should I take to protect myself and sell my products? The company that contacted me is Global Icons and signed by Christine ----. I have called the number on the letter for two days and no return phone call. I have sent two emails to the email address on the letter and no reply. In fear I have removed some legal products from my website that my costumers are asking for and I really need the sell. This is causing me harm both financially and mentally. Please advise.

Selling licensed products REPLY

I was very curious about the answer to this persons questions. So curious, I registered with this site only to find no replies to the post. Has it been overlooked? Does anyone know the answers? If yes, please post them. Thank you!

could you not put a disclaimer on your site that your company and Hollywood are in no way connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back