Selling Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob396

I would like some input on the legalities of a little business venture. Suppose I were to gather a list of URL's to websites that offer "free" products (you know, the ones that usually require some kind of promotional participation), make a Word Document or PDF file consisting of these URL's, and then sell the list on a Multiple Item auction as "Information on how to obtain a free [whatever]." First of all, let me say that I am aware that this kind of activity is "shady." But is it legal? I've been told that it's a "scam," and I'm "selling something that doesn't belong me." I do understand that I may not use other peoples domain names and URLs and pass them off as my own, but I just don't see how selling a list of information on simply how to get to another's website is infringing on their property or copyrights to the address/website, especially if I include in the document that I am in no way affiliated with the sites. I simply want to sell information. There is a very gray area that I have noticed from research on the whole "linking" issue, but I haven't come across any case or situation that quite compares to mine. Any more incite on the subject and its specifics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

PS: And I have not actually done this.

You want to sell what doesn't belong to you. That is a scam. Get permission from the website owners first. Putting your "plan" into action without permission could cost you a whole lot more money that you would ever make selling stuff on Ebay.

You want to sell what doesn't belong to you. That is a scam.

Tell me exactly what I am selling that doesn't belong to me. I understand I cannot sell the domain name. But I am not selling domain name. I want to sell directions on how to get to a site, not the site itself. Using your logic, many common Maps (both online and paper ones) that charge a fee are scams as well - as they are purchased with the idea of locating specific business.

Tell me exactly what I am selling that doesn't belong to me. I understand I cannot sell the domain name. But I am not selling domain name. I want to sell directions on how to get to a site, not the site itself. Using your logic, many common Maps (both online and paper ones) that charge a fee are scams as well - as they are purchased with the idea of locating specific business.

If you are talking about listing companies that offer a plan that requires participation, there is nothing illegal about that. If you are talking about a warez site list, then you can split hairs with the Big Machine and decide whether it is worth it. The industry's argument is that you are providing people with information how to infringe upon their copyrights and therefore should be liable for contributing to this illegal activity. There is a distinction in copyright law just like there is for drugs, the difference between possession, distribution and an accomplice. Countries outside the US have shut down sites like these but your host will likely shut you down too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back