Seller's Forwarding Address

MA_Advice

Jurisdiction
Massachusetts
I recently purchased a new home and during the closing it was negotiated amongst the buyer/seller lawyers that the seller would pay a portion of the annual city utilities. This was a "gentlemen's agreement" acknowledged via both lawyers during the closing during which the buyers (myself) and both lawyers/real estate agents were present. Since the close date, the lawyer who assisted on the closing has attempted to collect this sum on multiple occasions but the seller's lawyer refuses to respond to provide an address for the seller so that we may move fwd with sending notice of a desire to move fwd in small claims court. If the seller's lawyer is not providing info to send such notice, what options do I have to move this fwd?

If it ain't in the CONTRACT, the other party didn't agree to it.

Why on earth do people create contracts and then try to make sidebar deals with handshakes and smiles????

what options do I have to move this fwd?

Probably none.

Your un-named state likely has a statute that says real estate contracts must be in writing to be enforceable. Therefore your "gentlemen's agreement" isn't enforceable and you aren't likely to see a nickel even if you do find the seller.

As for finding the seller, you can hire a private investigator.

Back