Self representing for child custody and visitation issues

Laura German

Jurisdiction
California
I'm self representing for my child custody case; my daughter's father knew about me filling to get custody of my daughter back, he's avoid getting served even with PI and Professional Server. Judge granted continuance and to serve him by mail. I need legal advice on how to move forward and a few other questions.

I'm self representing for my child custody case; my daughter's father knew about me filling to get custody of my daughter back, he's avoid getting served even with PI and Professional Server. Judge granted continuance and to serve him by mail. I need legal advice on how to move forward and a few other questions.

You would move forward by serving him by mail. If you don't know how to do that properly, then you should likely speak to an attorney.

What are your other questions?

I need legal advice on how to move forward

You can't get legal advice from anonymous strangers on the internet (see the disclaimer at the bottom of every page at this site), and anyone who provides legal advice in this manner is likely violating the law.

and a few other questions.

Feel free to ask your question.

As concerns service by publication, I suggest you spend a couple hours at your county law library with the Rutter Group's Civil Procedure Before Trial practice guide. The rules for service of process in regular civil cases are also applicable to family law cases.

We already served him by mail. I need more information on options moving forward.

"We"? And what does "options moving forward" mean?

Where can I get professional legal advice?

From an attorney.

Before you ask, some, but not all, of the folks who respond here regularly are attorneys, but most of the attorneys who respond here are not licensed to practice in California. I happen to be one who is, but there isn't much of anything I can tell you without specific questions. If you're posting here to find an attorney to assist you, I suggest you try the "Find a Lawyer" link at the bottom of the page.

I'm self representing for my child custody case; my daughter's father knew about me filling to get custody of my daughter back, he's avoid getting served even with PI and Professional Server.

You can endeavor to retain the services of private investigators, process servers, or sheriff's deputies that are more sophisticated at serving "cagey", "clever", "cautious" targets.

Judge granted continuance and to serve him by mail.

========================================================

If you need assistance you can attend our Family Law Workshop "Request For
Order & Getting Started". Ask for flyer or sign up at If you search the court's website, you'll probably find information as noted below:

Superior Court of Kern County

You can always complete any forms on your alone.

=======================================================

Make sure you FILE in the correct court:

Superior Court of Kern County

=======================================================

These sites offer you FREE, CA court forms:

California Courts - Home

CEB

========================================================

You'll helpful information here:

https://www.kern.courts.ca.gov/documents/divorce-_separation-_annulment

=================================================

YOU CAN HAVE YOUR FORMS REVIEWED FOR COMPLETENESS & ACCURACY.

You can visit the Family Law Facilitator's office to have your papers reviewed BEFORE you make
copies and file said documents:

FAMILY LAW FACILITATOR'S OFFICE LOCATION AND HOURS:
1215 Truxtun Ave.
First Floor
Bakersfield, CA

Office hours:
8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Thursday,
8 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. Friday.
Closed weekends and holidays

WEB: www.kern.courts.ca.gov/divisions/family_law

EMAIL: WMFacil@kern.courts.ca.gov

Where can I get professional legal advice?
You hire a lawyer - that's the only way you get professional legal advice.

If you reference the disclaimer below it tells you as much and that this site has people on it who volunteer time but are not necessarily lawyers. A few are or have been but not everyone.

Back