"Self Divorce" questions...New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeeNJ

My partner and I would like to get a divorce - we were married in 2008 and have resided in the state of NJ ever since. This will be uncontested and no-fault (i understand we have to have been separated for 18 months to qualify). It is truly an amicable divorce with neither one of us wanting anything from the other.

An attorney friend of mine offered to handle this for me gratis, but I suspect the reason he hasn't moved (since sending me the forms and me returning them) is because he is incredibly busy, and as a non-paying 'client' I'm not too high on the priority list. Getting this done, though, is my priority, so I'd like to just take it into my own hands and file myself.

The papers he had sent me to fill out are:

Property Settlement Agreement (there are no assets to divide, no finances to be split, and there will be no alimony)
Plaintiff's Complaint
Defendant's Answer
Family Part Case Information Statement (my kids (different marriage) are 15 and 17 and there will be no child support. i have required copies of my pay stubs, etc)

So my question is: are there any other forms I need? Where can i find information on where and how to file? I googled but there is just a huge number of pay-for-service sites popping up and i can't find the specific information I need. I also want to make sure I do everything correctly.

Also, my attorney friend had mentioned something about a conference call with the judge to affirm that this is uncontested (as my partner is overseas right now). Is this actually a necessary part of the process (versus just filing and processing the papers)?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Lee

Google DIY divorce NJ.
You'll see most everything you need to know.

Sent from my iPhone 4S via AT&T using Tapatalk

right......that's what i did. they're all paid for services that don't tell me what to do once i've filled out the paperwork, assuming i've filled out all the correct forms.

thanks anyway

right......that's what i did. they're all paid for services that don't tell me what to do once i've filled out the paperwork, assuming i've filled out all the correct forms.

thanks anyway

Here you go an example for the State of NJ lawsuits, that is operated by the court system.

It provides assistance for "pro se" litigants.

Be advised, this isn't as easy as some might think, but it isn't impossible, either!!!!

http://www.judiciary.state.nj.us/prose/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back