Security Deposit Security deposit

C

candyluvx

Jurisdiction
South Dakota
I moved out with a 30 day notice, but my landlord is saying he won't give my deposit back because the apartment wasn't clean. We spent 3 days cleaning it. he said there were things in the bathroom, so it means it wasn't clean. We left things because it was already there when we moved, so we automatically thought it belonged to the apartment. He is saying the carpet in the living room was damaged, but when we moved it already had furniture from my friend that used to live there, so we did not damage anything, He is also saying we had pets, but we told him we did not. he said he has witnesses and pictures, and there is nothing more to be talked.

I moved out with a 30 day notice, but my landlord is saying he won't give my deposit back because the apartment wasn't clean. We spent 3 days cleaning it. he said there were things in the bathroom, so it means it wasn't clean. We left things because it was already there when we moved, so we automatically thought it belonged to the apartment. He is saying the carpet in the living room was damaged, but when we moved it already had furniture from my friend that used to live there, so we did not damage anything, He is also saying we had pets, but we told him we did not. he said he has witnesses and pictures, and there is nothing more to be talked.

You and the LL disagree.
The only way to resolve a disagreement is to take the matter to court, in this case, small claims court in the county where the unit is located.
Another easier option is "live and learn".
You're the boss of you, so you get to choose how hard you wish to fight.

Did your landlord provide a written and itemized listing of the deductions? How long has it been since you moved out?
Do a little research and see if the landlord complied with his requirements regarding the return of your deposit.
If the landlord didn't do it right you could be awarded a full refund and possibly more in small claims court.

Back